Opinions on landscapers choices for Winnipeg?
I admittedly haven't posted here, but I'm hoping you can help me. I am a COMPLETE DUD when it comes to gardening - we bought our house in 1999 and have been doing reno/tear down since then, and coming from an apartment before that, I've never had to do any kind of plants so I would sincerely appreciate any feedback now that we are at the point of being ready for final landscaping.
I told our landscaper that we NEED minimal maintenance (and I DO mean minimal!) but still wanted something nice for our frontage, and here is what she has proposed (with my suggestion of ornamental grasses):
- My house has the front door to the far left when facing it from the street. I like the look of pyromidal cedar, one on each side, to give it "presence"
- On the right side, under a box-out living room window, this is what she proposes: 3 Karl Foerster Grass, 3 Blue Fescue Grass, 3 Annabell Hydrangea (close to the front door on the right), and various 6''-15'' boulders interspered.
Our frontage also faces direct south. I don't know if this is enough information for you to comment, but can you tell me:
- Is this in fact LOW/No maintenance plantings?
- DH & I both work min 12 hour days so outdoor landscaping maintenance is nil other than grass cutting...any other plantings you can recommend for our climate?
- Any other comments or questions very sincerely appreciated!