Strawberries

svenska(CA18/19)April 18, 2012

My strawberries seem determined to become perennial. I need advice and hints on how to let them and yet keep the strawberry production up to usage demands. So far I've only trimmed off the new plant shoots, and dead leaves. What else would encourage them to continue to be fruitful? All your experience greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Strawberries are perennial. Their best year is usually their second. The third year is still OK but the fourth production is poor and many commercial growers pull them out after the third year. During winter last years foliage should be removed to help the new fresh growth. Be careful to not damage the crown while trimming the foliage back. Regular feeding is suggested with the new growth. Commercial growers remove the runners to get more fruit production. Al

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 9:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kittymoonbeam

keep the roots cool but don't mulch around the crown. Pick off any fruit that is past its time to keep disease away. In a pot, shade the side of the pot to keep the roots from dying where the sun heats the pot and soil. Get them to grow as big a root system as you can. Strawberries love having sand mixed into the soil.

Bookmark   April 26, 2012 at 12:03AM
More Discussions
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
You can look up your water company on this site
Here's an interesting site where you can look up your...
socks
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Dymondia
Hi all! I planted some dymondia as a groundcover last...
Sabine Halfhill
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™