Would like to give cannas another try this year. Need help.

lisa2004(NY Z5/6)January 28, 2007

Last year I planted 3 canna tubers (dwarf variety) in a huge pot on my deck. They were in full sun. Only one had any growth at all and even that one did very poorly. The leaves were pale and limp looking and it didn't flower. I would love to try a tall variety this spring. I want to put them in the ground, not in a pot. However, I need to know what went wrong last summer. It is possible that I didn't water them enough, but we did have LOTS of rain in June, so I'm surprised that I had no growth from 2 of the 3 tubers. Are there varieties that are stronger than others? I like dark red flowers. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Grancru(z5 MI)

I have about 20 different varities and pot them all. They do amazing. First I take some 100% silicone caulk and seal any hole in the pot no matter the size the pot to retain all water. For extreemly large pots I fill the bottom half with empty milk jugs, pop bottles or turn another pot upside down inside to take up space.

I mix fresh potting soil with some time release fertalizer, and manure, fill the pot and plant in full sun. I then give a good watering and as soon as the canna sprout up a couple inches I fill the pot with standing water. I keep standing water all year long and fertalize with a diluted 20-20-20 every 1-2 weeks. I have had the most amazing success. All have multipled beyond my expectations, flowers were amazing and I have more seed than I know what to do with.

Never had a problem with a single variety or lost one.
Grancru

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 10:27AM
lisa2004(NY Z5/6)

WOW!!! After looking at your pictures I guess I'll have to try again. I think I seriously under estimated the amount of water they need. Could of swore I read that they need good drainage. (I think I'll finially go for that hot tub too)! Very nice.

Bookmark   January 30, 2007 at 12:12PM
watergal(z6/7 Westminster, MD)

Lisa, try starting them in smaller pots so you can control the watering better. Before they sprout, you want to keep them moist, but not soggy, or they risk rotting away. AFTER they sprout, they you can go crazy with the water and move them to the big pot.

Bookmark   February 2, 2007 at 8:00AM
elvis

Mine are in big pots inside (I treat them like houseplants; deck for summer, indoors for winter). They DO like a lot of water; I water them every other day--and lots of light!

Bookmark   February 5, 2007 at 12:27PM
More Discussions
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
knobrocker
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™