killing weeds and canna

donna447January 9, 2010

I have two huge beds of canna, which overwinter great and are more prolific every year. The problem is that the beds get covered in the wild strawberry weeds, and it's really hard to get it during the summer. I want to kill the weeds this winter with Round Up, and then heavily mulch. Will the herbicide injure the dormant bulbs in the ground?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Donna,

Round Up is primarily a contact herbicide that typically is absorbed and moves through the plant. Assuming your canna foliage is dead at this time of year, the contact herbicide would not likely cause injury. I am not sure how effective it would be on your wild strawberries at this stage of growth. I would suggest you contact the local County Extension Office and get their recommendations. There service is generally free of charge and a phone call might prove beneficial. They would be more knowledgeable of your present growing location and conditions.

Kent

Bookmark   January 13, 2010 at 12:03PM
donna447

Kent---thanks for the info. I will call the county agent, as they have been helpful in the past.

Donna

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 9:11AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I want to do the exactly the same thing. I don't know if Donna is still on this forum so has anyone else tried Roundup (Glyphosate) when canna are dormant? I let my small bed of canna get out of hand over the past few years and it is now huge. Ok, HUGE! It is by the edge of the lake, so that is all fine and they have multiplied like crazy, but the bed is full, full, FULL of weeds. I should have done it last winter but didn't make it. So the plan, next winter, as soon as those canna are dormant, is to attack the whole bed with roundup.

I'm wondering if I should lift (at least some) of my canna to be on the safe side. I'm also wondering if I should lift some now and just do the project now. It is way in the back of my yard, down by the water, but because I live on a lake, it is a real eyesore for anyone looking over this way. But my canna are already up though, so I can't just spray willy-nilly. I either have to lift the canna, or pull the weeds by hand, or wait until next winter.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Carol in Jacksonville

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 1:35PM
More Discussions
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
my cannas are only producing very small seeds
So ive been waiting for weeks for the seed pods on...
MissKayle10-3-13
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™