Does my avocado tree need pollinating?

ricomyerApril 18, 2009

I have a very big, well established Fuerte avocado tree in my back yard. We moved here in October and found one perfect avocado in December. The tree was neglected for months before we moved in. Now (April) the tree has tons of bees all over pollinating something. I don't know of another avocado tree nearby to cross pollinate. How will I know if I need to plant another tree to pollinate? When will I be able to tell if any fruit is on its way?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phoggy(9)

According to Laverne Nursery, Fuerte is self-fertile. It also says its an alternate bearer, that might explain why there aren't any avocado this year.
http://lavernenursery.com/PGFuerteAvo.jpg

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 3:45PM
tim45z10

I believe it must have been grafted to bear fruit. It is self fertile. However, a close tree will give it more fruit.

Bookmark   April 18, 2009 at 4:36PM
still_kris(z17 NoCA)

I grew up with a Fuerte in my backyard and clearly can recall the grafting process which had to be repeated a couple of times before it took. While the variety may be self-pollinating, I bet you'd get a much better yield if it had been grafted. And, yes, alternate bearing.

Bookmark   April 20, 2009 at 7:42AM
eloise_ca

I thought grafting was best because it would help a plant provide fruit/flowers quicker, and help with diseases. But, if it's an older, established tree (would be hard to graft now), it should provide fruit. As mentioned by others, it will alternate bearing. For example, my Haas had tons of fruit two years ago, but this past year not as much. I'm looking forward to more fruit this year, not because I can eat it all, but because I can share with others, LOL!

ricomeyer, does your fuerte have bloom right now? My Haas is in bloom right now so at some point, I will start seeing very tiny avocados forming, but it takes a while.

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 8:56AM
socal23(USDA10/Sunset23)

As far as I have been able to tell, large temperature swings here in California increase the overlap between male and female flowers, reducing the need for type A (morning pistillate - afternoon staminate) and type B (afternoon pistillate - morning staminate) plants to be present at the same time.

Ryan

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 11:53PM
robertm_marman_com

I have a hass tree 20ft tall. Last year my avocado tree produced hundreds of avocados about half the size of a pea. All but 15 grow dropped. I was told not to water the tree until the fruit was the about 1" and the fruit has set. Is that true?

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 3:33PM
stefaniemaddocks_comcast_net

Do I need to plant 2 Avocado trees in order for them to cross pollinate? How can I tell the difference between male & female?

Bookmark   April 18, 2011 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Potatoes from Van Bloem Gardens
Does anyone know what potatoes are in the Van Bloem...
pbsjones
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™