Weird eggs on Cissus quadrangularis

seedmoneyJuly 10, 2011

Hi everyone,

I found these eggs on a Grape Veld, (Cissus quadrangularis) that I was propagating in my screened (apparently not too well!) greenhouse.

Were they deposited by a confused butterfly or are they something else entirely? All input appreciated. I've searched the literature but can't find any references to suggest that Cissus is a butterfly host plant. I should add I'm raising Black Swallowtails, American Painted Ladies , Gray Hairstreaks and Monarchs in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: weird eggs on Cissus quadrangularis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

There are quite a few sphinx moths that use members of the grape family as host plants. I think just about all the the Eumorphas use grape family vines/plants, also Abbott's sphinx/Sphecodina abbottii, Lettered sphinx/Deidamia inscripta, Nessus sphinx/Amphion floridensis, and Hog Sphinx/Darapsa myron. They all make cute moths. I don't know which, if any, of them lay their eggs in large groups like yours did, so your eggs may not be sphinx moths, but it's a start.
I've included a link to a list of sphinx moths of America. You can click on each one to find a lot of information about each type. I'd scroll down and start on Eumorpha if I were you.
If, after the eggs hatch, they have horns on their rear ends, you know they're sphinx moths.
Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Sphinx Moths of America

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 12:10AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't think that they are eggs at all, but something that the plant is exuding. The first clue to that, in my mind, is that the 'eggs' (droplets) are all located on or very close to a primary or secondary vascular vein.

I've seen this particular type of exudation on other kinds of plants, mostly those with calcium oxylate crystals in their sap. Which this plant contains, by the way.

What do you think of this theory?

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 12:21AM
seedmoney

Wow! I love this forum---thanks for your input, misssherry and rhizo. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
regards,
seedmoney

Bookmark   July 11, 2011 at 8:53AM
More Discussions
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Help for monarchs?
US Fish and Wildlife is spending some money to save...
socalgal_gw Zone USDA 10b Sunset 24
Camera settings for butterfly photography
One of the finest pieces of marketing I have ever witnessed...
bob_71
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Florida Butterflies.
I have posted before. I live in Sarasota, Florida and...
jane__ny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™