lilac in a container?

habitat_gardener(z9 CA/Sunset15)April 28, 2007

Will lilac bloom in a container? I got a 4-inch pot last year and put it in a 10-15 gallon pot. It's about a foot high and sending up new shoots, but no buds yet. Should I plan to give it away to someone who can plant it in the ground, or wait another year or two or ten?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christyfiglover

I started lilacs from seed (I know; call me crazy!!!) and it took 8 years for me to get blooms. They have been blooming now for 20 years.

If you got one in a 4-inch pot, I would assume it was quite young and may take awhile longer to bloom for you and I don't think being "potted" should make a difference if taken care of. I am not an expert on lilacs at all, so maybe someone who is, can expound on this.

By the way, starting them from seed did generate some very interesting lilacs- the blooms are gorgeous every year as always!
Take care,
Christy

Bookmark   April 28, 2007 at 7:31PM
Jennifer_Ruth(Z 10, Sunset Z 23)

We wanted a lilac that's not common here; I think it was called Sweetheart. It's a pink Syringa vulgaris with a particularly lovely scent. We got it from a Canadian mail order nursery, and the only size they happened to have that year was very small, a 4" pot, I think. We kept it potted for several years, increasing the pot size as needed. As I recall, it did begin blooming while it was still potted. We eventually planted it in the ground, where it got bigger and better every year.

So I see no reason your lilac wouldn't bloom in its pot. You should expect it to take about 3 years, perhaps a year longer. This is because a lilac that size is still very young. Hang in there; it's worth the wait! In the meantime, maybe you could plant low-growing annuals around the edges of the pot.

Best of luck with it,
Jennifer

Bookmark   April 29, 2007 at 1:51AM
deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)

I started hungarian lilac from seed about 7 years ago. The reason for doing so eludes me now. Nevertheless, I now have 3 shrubs in 2 gallon pots. They're shaped pretty nice and full but have not bloomed yet. I think I will scout out a location for them to be planted out this Fall.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Hayward Papaya.
You could knock me over with a feather. In the bay...
stanofh
Preventing Mildew on Pole Beans (Menlo Park)
I'm a fan of a purple pole bean variety called Trionfo...
Mahonia [Sunset Zone 15, USDA 8B]
What's the deal with milkweed
When is a good time to locate seeds or starts for milkweed?...
sf_rhino
Pittosporum 'Silver Sheen'
I live in Northridge, CA which is located in the San...
runaround
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
Sponsored Products
Powell Parcel 'Cinnamon' 9-drawer Console
Overstock.com
Eliot Chair - Key Largo Grape Purple
Joybird Furniture
Coconut Chair Reproduction
IFN Modern
Rev-A-Shelf Organization & Storage 20-Liter Pivot-Out Waste Container White
Home Depot
Safavieh Handmade Soho Zen Grey/ Ivory New Zealand Wool Rug (8'3 x 11')
Overstock.com
Amphora Peruvian Ceiling Fan with 54-Inch Custom Carved Constantina Pecan Blades
$511.20 | Bellacor
IMAX Harvest Leaves Glass Plates Set of 3 - 83176-3
$54.91 | Hayneedle
Five Decorated Easter Cookies - MULTI COLORS
$45.00 | Horchow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™