Trying to identify a tree

Solanales88(3b)June 20, 2012

I have this really beautiful tree in my garden that came with the house, but I'm having trouble identifying it. It produced clusters of little red leaves early in the season, as well as small flower bud clusters that resembled cauliflower florets (my mom affectionately calls it her "buttered cauliflower tree" lol). As the flowers got bigger, they opened to look like yellow astilbe plumes, and now the leaves look similar to rowan, only more rigid. My neighbour thought it was filipendula, but I don't think it is; the flowers are different in shape and colour, and the growth habit seems different. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me identify it.

The picture isn't great (my camera is terrible), but it's the "flowers" as they opened.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Solanales88(3b)

here's a picture from earlier in the season

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:06AM
Solanales88(3b)

and one more picture

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:07AM
marricgardens

When I saw the first picture I thought of the Japanese Tree Lilac. Is this it?
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/s/syrret/syrret1.html

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 2:02PM
Solanales88(3b)

No, definitely not a lilac. It doesn't show in the picture I uploaded, but there is a Japanese lilac right beside this mystery tree, and the shape, leaves, and flowers are all wrong. Also, the "flowers", if that's what they are, never opened more than what's in the first picture. They weren't fragrant, either. :(

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 1:02AM
smivies

It's an Elderberry (Sambucus sp.)

Your photos don't reflect enough unique characteristics to identify which species though.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:52AM
mdahms1979

The first to bloom in our area is the Red Elderberry, usually early to mid spring. The flowers are like the ones in your photo and not like the flat topped group of flowers seen on other species. The blooms of Red Elderberry have a strange and some would say unpleasant scent but only up very close. A nice shrub for shady woodland gardens and good for birds.

Mike

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 11:43PM
Solanales88(3b)

Thanks for the help. It's a nice tree, though mostly fruitless. The robins seem to like nesting in it though, which is good

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 9:59PM
More Discussions
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
Yacon
Is anyone growing this vegetable in Canada? It's a...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
BC palm trees VS S. ON polar vortex
Us poor residents of Toronto have suffered a bad winter...
Paul_Ont
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™