Cannas sprouting

mufti66January 24, 2007

Does anybody know what I should do? My cannas are sprouting. I have them in my bedroom which is very cool and they have started sprouting through the bags and they look all yellow and kind of stringy and I am worried that they will die if they don't get planted and I was thinking that if I put them out with some christmas tree lights around them they wouldn't freeze and then they would be big by springtime. Maybe some bubble-wrap tents? I am not sure, but I don't want to lose them because they are very rare ones. I can't remember the names but they have big green leaves and big orange flowers. Is there anything else I can do with them? Thank you in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handee(z5 CO)

Mine are sprouting too. They are stored in peat moss in a garage at about 50 deg. Here in the Denver area we have a short season so I start mine in pots when they develop sprouts. I have to start them in February anyway to get them big enough by the first June to put out, so it's not that much too early.

I just put them in a south window until they get going real well, then I put them under lights. When the spring weather gets mild I start acclimating them during nice weather. I plant them out mid-May if they get too big for inside, put tomato cages around them and cover them with row cover. We short season people have to work hard to keep our cannas.

It would be interesting to hear from experts whether one could cut off the sprouts to slow them down.

Bookmark   January 25, 2007 at 3:31PM
More Discussions
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™