Desert Queen Butterfly Chrysalis

adellabedella_usaJuly 27, 2014

I've been seeing what looked like smaller monarchs flying around. I haven't seen any new eggs or caterpillars. This afternoon, I went out and found this new white chrysalis. It looks like a monarch chrysalis, only white instead of green and has the gold. I'm assuming it is a Desert Queen. Also found a new monarch chrysalis. on the other side of the fence. Dd said she saw some more caterpillars when she looked. I'm interested to see what we've been attracting.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_gene

Your use of the common name "Desert Queen" is interesting; I can only find one subspecies that would occur in the U.S. desert and it is commonly known as the Striated Queen.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 10:52PM
adellabedella_usa

I could be wrong. I'm fairly new to identifying butterflies.

I googled "white chrysalis gold butterfly" and found a picture that looked like my chrysalis. Here is the article that went with that. http://deemhills.blogspot.com/2011/11/desert-queen.html

The article was written in Phoenix so I googled "Desert Queen Butterfly Houston". See the link for that. It is also referenced as the "striated queen".

Here is a link that might be useful: Desert Queen butterfly Houston

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:22AM
larry_gene

Yes, the blogger there repeatedly refers to the Queen butterfly and has titled a photo "Desert Queen" not to name the butterfly but to denote a Queen butterfly in the desert.

But then again, that is how common names get started; Desert Queen is better sounding than "striated".

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Snow and ice,come on spring !
Snow and ice on the ground here in arkansas today,has...
arkpollinator
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™