Accidently Broke my Canna While Planting

scubakathy84January 24, 2012

I bought a pack of 3 bulbs of Canna Red King Humbert (ok, I'm not sure if they are officially bulbs or tubers or ??, but I am calling them bulbs until I get corrected). I was planting them in some soil yesterday, but one of the bulbs snapped in half while I was handling it. It was sort of shaped like a dog bone and the weak point was in the middle which is where it snapped. Now I have two pieces, about 1.5" long each.

My question is will either of these pieces grow? If they can at least have a chance to live I'd be happy, even if they just give me a small canna that doesn't flower. Or is there no chance and I should just toss the broken pieces? New to gardening so I'm not quite sure.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Rhizome or tuber is technically correct but for most here it is not a big deal. You do not indicate where you are located so hopefully you are planting in a warm climate area. Assuming your supplier provided rhizomes that have at least one healthy growing point you should still see at least one of the pieces survive and grow. With a little TLC you may see both pieces produce healthy plants.
Good luck and let us know.

Kent

Bookmark   January 24, 2012 at 2:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scubakathy84

Thank you for the response! I inspected the pieces and it does appare that there is a growing point on one piece. Couldn't find one on the other. But I'm thinking I will plant it anyway and see what happens. I am glad to know I haven't completely killed this canna.

I'm in zone 9. Its a little too cold here right now for planting outdoors. So I figured I would get a head start and plant them in pots indoors by a sunny window and move them outside when it gets warmer.

Bookmark   January 25, 2012 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™