are these roses??

joyce75(6b ONT canada)June 5, 2006

If anyone lives in Burlington you may have seen these flowers all over the parking lot at the Power Centre on Brant St. Can anyone tell me what they are and how to propagate them? I have a feeling they may be shrub roses but not sure. They are also blooming on trafalgar in Oakville. And they smell lovely! Thanks, Joyce

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Yes, roses. Some kind of rugosa. They can be propagated by cuttings. Some rugosas sucker also and they can be dug up and transplanted (not that I would recommend taking a shovel to somebody else's roses!). You could also try harvesting a rosehip in the fall and wintersowing the seeds. Rose seeds do need stratification, so wintersowing should fit the bill.

Hope this helps.

Janet's Garden

Bookmark   June 5, 2006 at 12:51PM
raptorfan(z5 Ont, Cda)

hi, i believe it to be a rugosa called Hansa. I have one and it smells beautiful and is super tough (it is curbside). They are pretty popular so you should be able to purchase easily.

cheers
Yvonne

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 10:39AM
mandyy12

Hi: I believe that Yvonne has hit the name & plant quite correctly.

Bill

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 5:57PM
joyce75(6b ONT canada)

Thanks so much for the information. Joyce

Bookmark   June 7, 2006 at 10:16PM
sydseeds(5A /ON)

I wish you lived near me........I could give you fist full of suckers that escape everywhere on a weekly basis.

I've been pulling suckers of these things for 5 years now -

I've even poured 'wipe out' on them, only these rose suckers enjoy the toxic cocktail drink and continue to pop up more suckers as a reward for my efforts.

When you see them growing in these concrete enclosures in parking lots, there is a reason for that - if they actually planted them near any sembalance of soil, they'll take off and sucker everywhere - it would be one thing if they were blooming but 90% of the suckers don't bloom any flowers - just empty one stick prickly wonders....just a little fore-warning on what you might be in for.

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 1:29PM
leo_prairie_view(2B Manitoba)

Yes, it is definitely a rugosa, but I would suggest Jens Munk instead of Hansa, it is shorter and the flowers more refined. We have Fru Dagmar Hastrop, a parent of Jens Munk and Darts Dash and wouldnÂt be without them. They also have very large hips which last most of the winter. If you want them not to spread consider getting them grafted instead of own root.
Leo

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:12PM
dllfb(Ontario 5a)

Do these flower all summer long...are they used as a hedge?

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 10:41PM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

You say by a parking lot, I would then presume a Pavement Series rose, perhaps 'Pierette' Pavement, very tough rose for areas like that.

'Pierette' Pavement is a R. rugosa hybrid, free flowering, vigorous shrub with semi-double pure pink blooms.

Sharon

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 3:10AM
janetr(Ottawa USDA 4a)

Pavement is a European term in this instance, referring to sidewalks. The series was given the name because they are low-growing and suitable for planting along sidewalks. No connection there to parking lots whatsoever. Not that they couldn't be planted beside parking lots, but rugosas, because of they are inexpensive, very hardy and low- to no-maintenance are what you will usually find in that kind of setting.

I think the thornier varieties would make a great hedge around a veggie garden, but the suckering might be a bit of a problem.

Janet's Garden

Bookmark   June 28, 2006 at 12:21PM
More Discussions
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
Best Nurseries to order from?
This is a dangerous time of year...still snow everywhere...
hmacgarden
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Is walnut tree mulch ok for paths between raised vegetable garden beds
Just had a stump ground down and am also in the process...
burtman23
Sponsored Products
Floral Herb Wreath
$109.50 | FRONTGATE
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs Baliati Beige 9 ft.
Home Depot
Tom Dixon | Block Watch with Rose Gold Mesh Band
$425.00 | YLighting
Couristan Everest Gridiron Rug - 08714894020037T
$59.00 | Hayneedle
Safavieh Handmade Exquisite Blue/ Gold Wool Rug (8' Round)
Overstock.com
Extra Large Rose Sectional
Opulent Items
Pleasant Black & Red Wallpaper R1524, double roll
Walls Republic
Patterned Floral iPhone Case
| Dot & Bo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™