Finally....eggs!

weed30July 29, 2012

I have been sad this year due to the dearth of Swallowtail eggs in my garden. I chalked it up to the crazy weather, and figured I'd get some this fall when it cooled down. Well between yesterday and today, I found about 30 eggs on my rue!!! They are safely inside, and I'm finally setting up the "big cage" this year. YAY!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Congratulations! I guess they're black swallowtail eggs?

Sherry

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 12:10AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

I took Black Swallowtails for granted. They've been so common every year, I assumed they would always be plentiful, but they're somewhat rare in my garden this year. I have seven cats and one chrysalis right now and I had to look pretty hard to find them. Something must've happened to hurt their numbers. Maybe just the weird weather.
Glad you're helping them along Weed.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 6:58AM
caterwallin

Congrats on your treasure find! I hope that they all do well for you.
Cathy

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 2:22PM
weed30

misssherry - yes, black swallowtails. I hope to get some giant swallowtails too.

christie - I felt the same way, until this year! I'll never be "bored" with them again :)

caterwallin - thanks! I am adopting out a handful of them. My best friend has a 7yo granddaughter, and someone that works for me has 7yo and 8yo girls. I give them some each year.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 7:34PM
tdogmom(9)

Hooray! This is such a cool feeling, isn't it? I'm with you�the weather has been so odd that it's hard to say what may or may not be available. :) Enjoy!

Bookmark   July 31, 2012 at 9:48PM
weed30

I will mention that I have had TONS of small butterflies on my dwarf butterfly bushes. I am embarrassed to say that I don't know what kind they are. I am thinking maybe Skippers. They have a yellow/gold look to them. I haven't really inspected one closely, because I'm hooked on Swallowtails and Monarchs. Oh no! Am I a Lepidoptera snob?!!

Bookmark   August 1, 2012 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Camera settings for butterflies...part III
The quality of your photographs relies on proper settings...
bob_71
Caterpillars on our Acacia
We bought a little acacia a year ago. I'm not sure...
llilibel03
Monarch Caterpillars out of food!
I grow a few milkweeds for the monarch butterflies,...
SoFL Rose z10
Protecting cats outside
I'm not really into bringing the cats inside, so I'm...
catherinet
Looking for a source of beautiful, realistic fake butterflies
I am helping a friend decorate her baby nursery. I...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™