trees to give away, to you, to the city

deep___roots(ca9/sunset15)April 27, 2011

I have a monterey pine and a monterey cypress and a golden monterey cypress. The first 2 are in 5 gallons, maybe 6 feet tall, seedlings dug up from my yard over a year ago. The golden one is over 12 feet tall in a redwood planter box. Well, that one was a mistake, but all trees are healthy and lovely...I just can't use them.

I'm in the Bay Area, just a couple of miles off the 280 freeway in beautiful Los Altos.

Do cities want trees for their parks? In this time of austere budgets, maybe they would? Anybody have any knowledge? Or need any trees? There's a big housing tract recently built in town...maybe I'll check with them too. There's housing but not much landscaping yet. Okay...thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Maybe if you are lucky you can find a city that will take one, but usu they are grown to spec. by certified growers. You never know and can't hurt to ask. Might get lucky.

And I doubt any city is planting Monterey pine at this time, nor should any homeowner, unless yours has been certified resistant to pine pitch canker. If not, I wouldn't recommend planting one.

Dan

Bookmark   April 27, 2011 at 4:48PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Offer them on Freecycle!!
kathi

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
Need help with identification
I have tiny black round specks all over my fence and...
Nancy Taylor
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
California to be a tropical climate within 50 years.
I heard that on the news last night. By 2060 Soucal...
stanofh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™