just saying hello

blackgavotte(5aNS)June 22, 2013

Hoping to find some activity in this forum, for information and general interest, it seems that not too many people use the Northern Canadian forum, I'm in the Maritimes, moved here in fall 2011, just learning about the different gardening challenges here, wrestling the ground slowly to my liking... well, sort of.. yesterday, June 21, the first day of summer, finally my first rosebuds opened, after a miserable spring. Marie Bugnet, bless her heart..

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dianasan(z5a Mtl)

Hello and welcome, blackgavotte! What a lovely garden and that's a beautiful rose. I'm going shopping for roses tomorrow and hope to find a nice white Sir Thomas Lipton.

Bookmark   June 23, 2013 at 7:20PM
diane_v_44(Z6)

Happy Canada Day and my you have done well in just a year of gardening.
At this location

I don't seem to do so much with roses nowadays
Getting older and trying to simply my gardens so as they look good but have or require less work.
Such as Hydrangeas and hostas, and there are some strong perennials Such as Lupins and Delphiniums, Day lilies Daisys. Chrysanthemums which ae one of my favourites

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 12:30PM
wiley1983(6b)

hi, i noticed you are from n.s?? im from the valley, what part are you from??

Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 7:43PM
swontgirl_z5a(5a)

Hey!
Welcome to the forum. I wish too that there was more activity on this forum. The far north forum seems to have many current members who post but there doesn't seem to be anything regular used by the rest of the country. I go on their's every once and a while but am not sure if I should. I know we have such different climatic conditions in this country but I think we could all benefit from some exchange of information.
Your garden is lovely. I too have given up on fancy roses. I have planted some hardy ones in what I call the wild side of my front yard. It is along a field on our farm and I have tried to plant it with flowering shrubs. This is the first year many of the roses have actually done something and they all seem to be the same pink colour for some reason!
I am busy right now with all of my daylilies. I hybridize and have hundreds of seedlings blooming that I am trying to get photos of. It rained all spring and the weeds in a couple of them are horrendous. I just couldn't keep up. Now it is dry -I still can't quite believe that - and I am starting to water all of the huge lush plants that grew with all of the rain!
Good luck with your soil-it looks like you are making headway.
Keep posting to show us how it is going!
Debbie

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:08AM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

Hi ya blackgavotte, welcome to the forum and mice garden you have there!

Swontgirl you are welcome on the far north forum, as well as anybody else, whenever you would like. It is a great bunch of folks, albiet most a little zone envious, and is pretty active. I invite everyone to stop in and say hi. Just don't tell them I sent you as they already envious of my zone lol

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 3:02PM
clax66

Hi Blackgavotte, your garden looks lovely for such a short time!

I'm a struggling novice in Zone 6 Canada and I had posted my challenges last week under Northern Gardening, maybe I should have posted here since it looks a bit more active!

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 4:22PM
SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC(Zone 4b-5 SE BC Canada)

clax try the far north forum it has a lot more activity than here. Aren't all us Canucks in the far north anyways, Eh?

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 9:26PM
blackgavotte(5aNS)

Hi folks, so nice to see some responses, I feel very welcome ! I had computer problems starting around mid June so was staying off it quite a bit, trying to make it last until the new one arrived and was set up, now I'm good to go. I'm still working on the extension, enlarging that front plot on its north end by about 10 x 4, and oh my the rocks... but I did get the west end of it finished to a point where I could put in the odds and ends I'd bought, ( two new roses first of course, went with Therese Bugnet. Will keep picking at the extension over the summer, find I just don't have the strength I used to, being a senior now, but if it takes me longer, oh well... Will keep in touch and post as I go along, nice to meet you all.

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 5:59AM
blackgavotte(5aNS)

oops, Wiley, forgot to say I moved to just outside Yarmouth in Sept. '11, love the area and people, not so much the rocks and the heavy clay soil, oh well, another challenge to keep me alert...

Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 6:03AM
More Discussions
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
Planting near to the wooden fence of lawn
Is it ok to grow my plants just adjacent to the wooden...
sdraza1
Help Me Please Identify Unknown Plant
Hi, there is an unknown plant growing in my garden....
petra.gombos
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
When do YOU start your veggie seeds indoors?
Hi...I've got my grow light gardening kit assembled,...
Patches
Sponsored Products
'Don't Just Count Your Blessings' Magnet
$6.49 | zulily
Jeweled Whiteflake Ornament
Grandin Road
Amaury Thermostatic Shower System With Rainfall Shower - Hand Shower
Signature Hardware
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs South Beach Sand 8 ft. x 10 ft.
Home Depot
At-Mesh-Sphere Radioactive Tangerine Six Light Hand Forged Recycled Steel Pendan
$449.00 | Bellacor
Nuvo Loren 3-light Polished Nickel Pendant
Overstock.com
Sonneman | Otto Floor Lamp
$700.00 | YLighting
Florence Style Loft Leather Armchair in White
$519.00 | LexMod
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™