annuals for shade

marricgardensJune 26, 2011

I am looking for some flowering/foliage annuals for shade. I know about impatiens, coleus, begonias and some forget me nots. How about allyssum? Does it flower in shade? Anything else? I do love foliage but something that flowers would also look nice. Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
debbiecz3(z3MB)

I don't think alyssum would do well in shade but how about browalia and/or torenia? There are others but not that I can think of at the moment.

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 7:17PM
davidcalgary29(2b)

I planted Osteospermum in my front garden last year (morning sunlight only), and (surprisingly) it did well enough, though I'm sure it would have preferred a sunnier spot. I also had great success with Morning Glory in the same spot, though it didn't grow as high as I'd hoped. Finally, I'd certainly suggest that you try some Scizanthus if you haven't considered these plants -- they're just spectacular, thrive in cool, moist, and shady locations, and provide beautiful colour for me from May to September in my Peace River, AB garden.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 12:46AM
xaroline(zone 3 Calgary)

Schizanthus is good and so is mimulus.

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 4:10AM
marricgardens

Thanks for the suggestions! I've grown Scizanthus before but I thought it needed full sun. Will have to start growing it again. I love the flowers. I looked up muimulas and they might be worth a try too. Marg

Bookmark   June 27, 2011 at 8:17AM
bev_w(6a)

Try Garden Balsam (Impatiens balsamina). Nicotiana will bloom nicely in part shade. I have self-seeding patches of annual Candytuft (Ibiris umbellata) that do just fine with not much sun.

Bookmark   June 28, 2011 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™