volunteer canna....

PIGEONBOB(Z5--OHIO)February 13, 2013

This is my first post on this forum. I don't do a lot of cannas, but this year I had a 'volunteer' canna sprout in my daylily hybridizing beds. This happens about every other year and I usually just yank them out. For some reason I let it grow this year and it turned out to be quite a nice plant. It bloomed profusely and the color was beautiful and it was even somewhat branched. I wish I had taken more photos, but I just took two. So, first of all, after reading everything I could about growing cannas from seed, I'm surprised that this thing came up and bloomed like a mature plant all in the same season. Also, we experienced a terrible drought this year. Even more amazing. Secondly, where in the world did this come from? I haven't grown cannas in years. These seeds must be left-over from years ago....I do only daylilies. How long can a seed last and still germinate? I know these are a lot of questions, but it's mostly just fascinating to me that this happened. I'll post the two photos I did take, and , I decided to save this one, so it's resting in my basement for the winter. What do you think, I think it's pretty.
Bob Faulkner

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Bob,
Welcome to the world of growing cannas from seed even if not by design. Canna seeds are encased in a very hard outer coat that is nearly impervious to water. Until the outer shell is permeated the embryo cannot germinate. Canna seed can survive a very many years and remain viable. It has been established that native Indians used canna seeds in their musical hand rattles and after over 500 years the seed inside were found to be viable.
Kent

Bookmark   February 14, 2013 at 6:16PM
More Discussions
my cannas are only producing very small seeds
So ive been waiting for weeks for the seed pods on...
MissKayle10-3-13
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™