too early to pot up stuttgart?

nucci60(6 Ma.)February 23, 2007

I just recieved a nice healthy rhizome off ebay.I was wondering if I should start it under lights with my banana plants that are doing well. I lost my other stuttgart when I stored it for the winter. It was all dried up. My other cannas are doing fine in storage. I had to lose the one I cared about the most.I figured that this was fat,moist and healthy and don't want to risk this one drying up. what do you think? Should I pot or store?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turquoise(5)

I don't know if stuttgart is different for some reason, but this is my second year starting my canna around this time. I bought some from Ebay last year (purpurea) and just potted them up and started them. They did really well last summer!

A few days ago I brought mine back out from storage. I haven't potted them yet. I might just leave them in their box to slowly wake up.

I'm certainly not an expert, but my vote would be pot it up and start it with your banana plants. I don't know if it'll honestly give you a jump on growth when it's all said and done (they all seem to catch up to the same level once they're outside in warm soil), but if you just want to see a little growth I don't think it'll hurt anything either.

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 10:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nucci60(6 Ma.)

Thanks turquoise, I just potted it.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
knobrocker
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™