bulbs or rhizomes

POISONPAWS(Z6 PA)February 8, 2005

what is differance between bulbs & rhizomes ? if so should i buy rhizomes or bulbs ? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
don_brown(Zone 6A NS)

A Rhizome is a modified STEM structure, which may be above or below ground, depending on the type of plant. It is adapted to storing energy and physically spreading the plant from one location to another. Since the rhizome comes from one host plant, any piece of that rhizome will be genetically identical to its parent...a clone.

Cannas have underground rhizomes, which are commonly used for propagation because one can be sure of getting a plant like its parent. Since cannasas are hybridized, their seeds may produce varying results.

Plants with BULBS such as tulips and onions are a little different. The bulb is a modified structure for storing enegy as well, but it consists of layers of undifferentiated tissue which can remain dormant for long periods of time, and when conditions are favourable, growth and differentiation into stems, roots and leaves will result. One may plant the seeds of bulbous plants, and the seedlingss will eventually produce bulbs. Bulbs may also asexually reproduce, in which case these new bulbs will be identical to the parent bulb.

Bulbs are usually in the lily family of plants. In the case of cannas, which are related to bananas and bird of paradise plants, you will find rhizomes and corms.

Bookmark   February 8, 2005 at 3:12PM
More Discussions
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™