reviving sago palms...

cyumickey(Sunset 18)April 18, 2006

Hi all,

I have 2 (well 3) baby sago palms in pots. They are just sitting in the backyard waiting to be planted. My MIL got them for us, and brought them over before I was really ready for them. Anyway, I have not been able to water them daily (as instructed), and some fronds are dead and/or dying. Is there anyway to revive them? They won't be able to be planted for at least another few weeks. Please help! They are too expensive to go the way of all my other potted plants...dead.

I also have 1 tiny sago as a houseplant that did pretty well indoors for about a year with minimal watering. Now half of the fronds are yellow (but kind of soft still). I suppose that should go outside too...don't palms like sunlight?

Thanks! Oh, and I live in the Inland Empire...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

Baby cycads need regular water, sunlight (but not too much direct, burning sun), and above all, good drainage. The link below will give you expert advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cycad help & advice

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 11:49AM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

thanks, that was really helpful! I am curious, though about these long, skinny, tentacle-like things that grew out of my indoor sago...they grew really long then dried up, but I can't pull them off of the plant...

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 12:31PM
gobluedjm

Here is another link that may help you. The daily watering doesn't sound right, mine in a 10 pot gets it about every 10 days.

Here is a link that might be useful: another Cycad link

Bookmark   April 19, 2006 at 5:16PM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

well it looks like they may be coming back! the pots have been moved for better drainage, and the color is coming back. My indoor plant has thrown up another long skinny shoot with little balls/dots...can someone please tell me what it is? It stands up straight in the air and is now almost twice the height of the plant. I'll try to get a pic of it. thanks!

Bookmark   June 16, 2006 at 4:23PM
sootie

I recently came across a photo of a sego with a few very tall, skinny, upright tendral-looking strands--among healthy 'fronds'. They said it was an example of not enough light. Because yours is indoors, that's probably the reason.

I suggest carefully cutting them off at base & giving plant more sun.
~sootie

Bookmark   June 17, 2006 at 6:45PM
sootie

I just located the picture of sego above mentioned!
It's at: http://www.rhapisgardens.com/sagos/
It's about the 8th photo down the page.

Let me know if that looks like *Yours*
~sootie

Bookmark   June 17, 2006 at 9:05PM
cyumickey(Sunset 18)

yup! thanks for finding that! It definitely doesn't get enough sun. The tendril is REALLY long now, so I guess I'll just cut it off. Next time something like that starts to shoot up, I'll be sure to put it in direct sunlight!

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Container Gardening in Zone 9a
Hi everyone, I am pretty new to gardening and would...
giddyupgo
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Veggie season?
what are you all planting in the veggie garden lately?...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Echium wildpretii. "Tower of jewels"
Anyone have experience with these? I planted seeds....
llilibel03
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™