Epiphytes on Bonsais

epiphyte78(9)April 30, 2013

Bonsais are really interesting...but bonsais with epiphytes attached to them are even more interesting. Yay or nay?

Here's a list of epiphytes that I've attached to my Crassula "bonsai" and here are a couple of close up photos...

Anybody have any miniature Tillandsias that you'd be interesting in trading? If so, then bring them to the Ballona Show/Sale this Saturday.

Here are some of the Tillandsias that I'll bring to trade...

Tillandsia capillaris
Tillandsia capillaris Pitchfork
Tillandsia funkiana?
Tillandsia loliacea
Tillandsia tricholepis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Hey epiphyte78, are you by any chance growing billbergias epiphytically outside? It seems like I always see them in pots and I just rescued 4 huge potfulls, but I want to possibly grow them on a wall. Any thoughts?

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 10:58AM
epiphyte78(9)

nil13, the most common Billbergia here in Southern California is Billbergia nutans. I'm guessing that's the one you rescued.

I have a few bromeliads growing epiphytically...but the large majority of them are just sitting in pots that don't have any medium. A few pots do have one or two large rocks to keep the pots from tipping over.

My Billbergia nutans, like the rest of my bromeliads, do absolutely fine in empty pots. So I'm sure they'd do just fine attached to pretty much anything...trees, shrubs, boulders, walls, tables, chairs, statues, etc.

A month or so ago I attached a few to my friend's massive Catalpa tree in his front yard. He lives in Mt. Washington as well...so you might catch some flashes of pink one day while you're driving around.

I've found though that Billbergia nutans can't grow in full summer sun in my yard. So that's definitely a limiting factor.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 1:17PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

thanks, that is encouraging. I figured full sun was out of the question.

Now I'm going to be on the lookout for a catalpa with billbergias in it on my dog walks. lol.

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 2:24PM
More Discussions
trees wont grow
i bought these crepe myrtle trees about 4 years ago.i...
Carlos Hernandez
Suggestions for unusual and well-producing veggies for northbay?
We're about to plant the same old things: beans, tomatoes,...
carolsun
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Shade cloth for tomatoes in San Fernando Valley
We have another couple of scorching days in So Cal...
sheckylovejoy
Sunset Magazine slowly being gutted
A real shame. I've been a subscriber for decades, ever...
jkom51
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™