canna seeds

azalyssa(9)February 15, 2006

Will City of Portland and Pink Futurity cannas grown from seed look like the parent plant or did I make a lousy purchase when I bought the seeds?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hollakes

I posted a picture and methond on how I germinate canna seed very easily done
Bev

Here is a link that might be useful: canna seeds

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 8:24AM
azalyssa(9)

I used a Dremel to nick the seeds and soaked them close to 3 days -- no little roots appeared even though they swelled up considerably. I went ahead and planted them in a Jiffy-pot mini green house and stuck it in my window. I guess I should just wait and see. I got the seeds for next to nothing on Ebay. Next time, I'm buying the rhizome and skipping this seed stuff!

Bookmark   February 18, 2006 at 8:43PM
quicksilver(z6bMA)

First off, all of my knowledge about cannas can be fitted on a matchbook cover written with a crayon. I was given some canna variabilis by a wonderful person in a newbie seed swap. I first used a sheet of sandpaper to remove the outside layer of the seed. Successfull but slow. Next I used a bench grinder at work. Rather fast, but I lost a few of the seeds when they went flying out of the pliers to parts unknown. In both cases my goal was to remove the outer shell and expose white. In both methods I found that the spot where the seed will sprout is visible as soon as you remove enough of the outer casing.

Bookmark   March 27, 2006 at 8:05PM
ornata(London UK (8/9?))

Growing canna from seed is fun; unless you're growing a species, you're never quite sure what you'll end up with. It's so easy to harvest your own seed and get them to germinate (even if you only soak them and don't nick the seeds, most will germinate eventually with some heat, although it may take some weeks), and they're no trouble to grow on. They reach flowering size in their first year, even in the cooler, lower light conditions of the UK. Who could resist it?

Bookmark   March 29, 2006 at 6:51AM
More Discussions
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
Guild Hall Collection 20" High Outdoor Wall Light
Lamps Plus
Hancock Extra-Large Outdoor Wall Mount
$129.90 | Bellacor
Geneva Small Outdoor Wall Mount - Old Rust
$242.00 | Bellacor
Elton Small Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Cornerstone 1 Light White With Clear Seed Wall Lantern
Overstock.com
Kenroy Home Posts Hatteras 1-Light 24 in. Black Post Lantern 90967BL
Home Depot
Feiss Market Square Outdoor Wall Lantern - 14H in. Oil Rubbed Bronze - OL2600ORB
$145.00 | Hayneedle
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 3-Light Outdoor Post Antique Bronze Finish Clear Seed
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™