Importing plant material from UK to California

Charlotte WillnerApril 30, 2013

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if any of you have successfully (and legally!) brought plants into California from the United Kingdom? We're visiting a lot of the great British gardens this summer and I'd like to bring home some Claire Austin iris corms as a souvenir for the garden.

I know this will be some level of hassle, and I'm willing to go through the whole rigmarole at the airport, customs, etc. -- has anybody done this who could advise on what forms I'll need to fill out etc?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathi_mdgd

Calif has very strict laws about letting any kinds of plants into this state,even if you are here in the states,and come to calif,you're subject to search and seizure,and they don't care what it cost you,or where it came from.

Unless it's change over the last few years,this is how it was when we traveled to the east coast etc.

I'm sure someone here has been in and out of the country more recently and may have more updated info.
Kathi

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 6:26PM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

It is better(easier)to have the UK nursery ship it to your home. They know what is required and have the license to do it. California spends millions eradicating pests that have been brought home by travelers overseas. Al

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 7:46PM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

A few years ago I brought back, from my daughter's garden in Oregon, a small plastic bag of dirt with 4 or 5 lily of the valley plants in it.
It set off the alarms in the Portland airport and they took it far away from me and searched for the cause. Not finding a cause they gave it back to me (!!!) and when I was planting it, I found a 2" rock in the dirt that they had missed.
Through all this, no one said a word about importing a plant to California. (Or a radioactive rock- HA!) Min

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 11:42PM
More Discussions
Need help with privacy issues - Sunset zone 18
I have an odd side yard that is on a busy street. ...
mariandailey
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
Discount pottery now that Norcal has Closed?
Does anyone have any good sources for discount pottery...
kristimama
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Shrubs for zone 9b (Riverside)
What shrubs have these attributes: Evergreen Height:...
Gary
Sponsored Products
World Imports Ceiling Mounted Lighting Bristol Collection Antique Oak 4-Light
Home Depot
Amisco Chain Swivel Stool
Overstock.com
Midnight Cheetah Rug 5'3" x 7'5" - CHEETAH
$829.00 | Horchow
Bellissimo Bachelor's Chest
$789.90 | Horchow
Preston Triple Nut Bowl - SILVER
$125.00 | Horchow