Tiger Eye Sumac Lost all its Leaves in the Middle of Spring

sherriffJune 9, 2010

Hi There, I have a full grown 8' tall Tiger Eye Sumac. The leaves on one of its branches started wilting, so I watered and added a couple of hand fulls of bone meal to the base of it, but this did not help. Within a week all leaves have wilted and started drying out. The shrub is alive because there is a small green off-shout that is growing from the base of it that is still green, but why did that happen? Is it dying? Can I do something to save it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ianna(Z5b)

how old is it?

Bookmark   June 9, 2010 at 10:50PM
ianna(Z5b)

I can only guess that perhaps some damages may have occurred in the trunk above from where the offshoot. I'm not aware of what kind of disease sumacs are susceptible to but observe the trunk and look for insect infestations or fungal or bacterial problems. The offshoot will probably emerge as a new trunk so keep it healthy. Don't overwater.

Bookmark   June 10, 2010 at 3:46PM
sherriff

Hi There, Thank you for your responses. I don't know how old the plant really is. However, I moved in the house 2 years ago, and I know the previous owners did a major landscaping overhaul in 2004, so if I were to guess, I would guess 6 years old. The odd part is that there is no signs of infection or insect infestation what so ever. The other Sumac that I have is standing tall only 10 feet away. The off shoot that I mentioned earlier, is growing straight from the base of the main trunk, so I doubt that the root is dead...Do you think there is a chance that the leaves will grow back this summer, or next spring?

Bookmark   June 14, 2010 at 4:07PM
ianna(Z5b)

If it's still shedding all it's leaves, I think perhaps the old trunk is dying but a new one is growing. So maybe add a tree fertilizer to keep the young plant growing healthy. Sumacs do produce offshoots when their older one dies off so perhaps this is one of those moments. Scratch the trunk of the old one and look for a vibrant green colour. If it's there, it's alive. If it's not there, it's dead. If it's spongy, it's dead.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
Is walnut tree mulch ok for paths between raised vegetable garden beds
Just had a stump ground down and am also in the process...
burtman23
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Sponsored Products
Jaspe Stripe Upholstery Fabric in Tiger Lily Orange
$22.00 | FabricSeen
Detroit Tigers Field Bear Woven Jacquard Throw
$17.99 | zulily
Safavieh Hand-woven Resorts Natural/ Green Tiger Weave Sisal Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Safavieh Handmade Tiger Beige/ Brown New Zealand Wool Rug (2'6 x 12')
Overstock.com
Refurbished Theatre of Magic Pinball Machine
FRONTGATE
Universal Tubs Jetted Bathtubs Tiger's Eye 5.5 ft. Air Bath Tub in White
Home Depot
NoJo Jungle Babies Crib Sheet - 3544003
$22.98 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rug Boutique Rugs Tiger
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™