BaBaBerries are not waking up

ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)April 14, 2010

I planted 4 BaBaberries in January - bareroot, in a sunny spot. They have not yet woken up from dormancy. Last week the stems were still green. They were constantly watered.

All my other berries planted at the same time have come out of dormancy and have several inches of growth. Do I give up and look for replacements? Or is there still hope for them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tania(Zone10 Ca)

I have a barrel with babas, and they haven't sprung into action yet, and these are stable plants. They really aren't getting any sunlight right now, nor are my black rasps, and they've already begun to show new growth. I think the babas are still asleep. Give them a bit more of time, they'll wake up! I'll keep on eye on my and post once I see signs of new growth.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 4:15AM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

Thanks for the help and information, tania! I guess they got confused by so much rainfall and abnormal weather patterns. I will post too if mine decide to wake up.

Bookmark   April 16, 2010 at 1:22PM
tania(Zone10 Ca)

Hey Ashley

I went out into the garden today to pull away the overgrown weeds in my baba barrel and there IS new growth growing. Take some pruners and prune off about a half inch from the tops of the canes. If they are green, then your canes are still alive. Normally bareroot canes are of a hardier wood and not green wood. That has been my experience from the canes I've purchased. Maybe the canes are just getting hardier, and will begin growing soon. Just give them some time. Not all of my black raspberry canes have growth. Some look dead, but I've cut them and they are green. Just be patient. If you bought them at Home Depot, and they don't grow, take them back for a refund. It took me a few attempts before I successfully had babas in my garden. They seem to be the only variety I've had trouble with. But they are worth it! Also don't water them unless absolutely necessary.

Bookmark   April 17, 2010 at 3:19AM
oldgreyfellow

Hi Ashley,

Did you by any chance buy your bababerries from a nursery in Georgia that starts with the letter W ?

If so, its quite likely they will never "wake up". I had that experience 3 times (with my original bababerry order, and both replacement orders they sent).

Bookmark   May 13, 2010 at 9:24AM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

Thanks tania. Nothing happening to mine yet.
Oldgreyfellow, no. I bought my bababerries from a local nursery who in turn got it from LE Cooke nursery. They still have no sign of life. Funnily enough, the plants left over at the nursery where I bought from are now leafed out and going strong. I have a warranty on my plant - so it will go back if nothing happens to it in a few weeks. I dug around them and saw some fresh small whitish roots.

Bookmark   May 15, 2010 at 2:41PM
More Discussions
little green worms on roses
Larvae of what? They seem to be going for the buds...
bettyn_gardener
New House - Need Help!
Hi Everyone, I recently moved into my new home in Orange,...
Phil Arnold
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
Privacy Trees?
Good afternoon, I'm hoping to find a recommendation...
sirwoodland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™