Longest Blooming Ceanothus

fallfograin(9)April 17, 2013

I want to plant a ceanothus that I can train into a tree. As much as I love ceanothus, I don't love their short blooming time! I know there are a lot of different varieties out there. I added Dark Star and Ray Hartman to my garden last year and they are looking so good I want more. Does anyone have experience with different varieties who could tell me which ones bloom the longest and the latest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elsch

Ray Hartman is the longest blooming for me, blooming longer left than Julia Phelps and Dark Star. And ofcourse, the most tree-like.
Mine only blooms a tiny bit in fall, but I have seen some around town that bloom sporadically in fall, maybe they get a lot of water?

I too love ceanthus and got a little over eager and put in way too many of them. I ended up removing Tuxedo and Frosty Blue, only to make room for other plants. Frosty Blue got tree like very fast, and bloomed heavily, but I don't remember if it was noticeably longer blooming than the others.I also grew it at my previous house and was very pleased with it.

I would recommend a variety of other plants, maybe some toyon and manzanitas which could complement the ceanothus so it isn't too monocromatic. And ceanothus do seem so boring at the end of summer and in fall, that is when I succumbed and pulled some out.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 10:19AM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

There are a couple of Ceanothus species and hybrids that are deciduous and summer blooming, but all the west coast evergreen species are relatively short bloom periods. Ray Hartman is probably the best for a tree sized specimen. Joyce Coulter and Julia Phelps are two of my personal favorites. Best species or cultivars for your specific area will depend on how hot you get in summer. If you have the room, Fremontodendron 'California Glory' is a fantastic complement to any Ceanothus, along with Mimulus aurantiacus and Salvia clevelandii and Salvia leucophylla or Artemesia californica.

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:51AM
sagescrubber

I second Ray Hartman. My oldest one starts budding out in December - no joke - and it still has some flowers. Whereas my San Diego native ceanothus - Oliganthus - was done in three weeks.

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
So Cal - TOP 3 Tomatoes
If you live in Southern California, and you could plant...
Baby G (Z10, 300?CH, SoCal-LA)
Grow muscat grapes in Bay Area
Hi, I want to grow muscat grapes for eating. Could...
bike2work
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Sparrows
Photo of a nest of sparrows under my porch. There are...
tim45z10
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
Sponsored Products
Peach 10'' Hobnail Jar
$7.99 | zulily
Bocci | 28.11 Square Pendant Chandelier
YLighting
Edith and Vine Wall Mirror
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Blooms
Home Depot
Bohemian Blooms Giclee Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Nourison Area Rug: In Bloom Black 8' x 11'
Home Depot
Lady Camellia Covered Jar
The City Farm
Holiday Faux Phalaenopsis Orchid Arrangement
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™