Can I plant cannas in clay soil?

daisy_lee(5)March 15, 2005

This will be my first year planting cannas or would like to know if I can plant canna rhizomes directly into clay soil? Is it necessary to add compost, peat, etc.?

I am learning a lot reading all of the posts and hope I have luck with them like everyone else!

Thanks for any advice!

Daisy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

I would be adding compost to the soil. I had clay soil here, and they didn't do as well as when I added compost the next year. Also don't plant too deep. I made that mistake one year.

Bookmark   March 15, 2005 at 5:22PM
whistlingdixie(7)

You can grow them in clay. I do--quite well. Don't plant them very deep, an inch or two. Full Sun, lots of water. Fertilize frequently and they'll do just fine.

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 7:27PM
peatpod(Z5b Ontario)

I too have clay soil but I made sure to ammend my soil also .. with clay if it dries out well .. it can be quite a mess. Ammend your soil .. you will be rewarded with huge blooms and many rhizomes in the fall :o)
Laura

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 11:26PM
jenna1(AZ)

You sure can. But like jroot and WhistlingDixie said, don't plant them too deeply.

However, if you have compost I would amend at least the backfill with it. It definitely won't hurt to dig your hole deeper and wider and mix the backfill with compost. I guess you could call that 'spot amending'. :))

And mulch with a rough compost as well. It will help to keep the clay soil from baking into concrete (altho that really won't stop 'em), but will keep the soil softer and will feed not only the soil as it breaks down, but will feed the worms as well.

Jenna

Bookmark   March 19, 2005 at 11:32PM
More Discussions
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
Three weeks, 6 of 16 germinated
I started mine this year on jan 1. I scarified and...
bragu_DSM 5
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™