Northern Bayberry in S. Ontario?

greenrr(5a S. Ontario)June 5, 2006

I have bought 4 Northern Bayberry shrubs spring 2005. Where in Southern Ontario are there other Northern Bayberry's that I can go look at in their maturity? It seems this is not a very popular shrub as it's hardly talked about in the shrub forum.

I'm near Markham, Ontario.

Mine are about 1 foot tall & it takes them a long time to get their growth spurt in the spring.

Cheers,

Greenrr

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

I bought some seeds of this plant and am trying to get them to germinate. One source I read said the height can be anywhere from 5 to 12 feet. Apparently there are separate male and female plants and the females get the berries. Anyways, this seems like a very hardy dependable shrub.

Glen

Bookmark   June 18, 2006 at 12:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenrr(5a S. Ontario)

Some of the reasons for getting this shrub is that it is road salt tolerant, get's to 5-10 ft tall, is semi-evergreen here in Ontario anyways, & is pretty hardy.

I guess for some reason, it's not that popular, or as the following link shows - it's rare here.

I did buy 4, but have no idea what sex they are as this is the second year for them. I suppose with time if there are no berries they are either all male, or all female eh?

If they are so rare, I'm surprised that I found them - Vandermeer Nursery in Ajax.

http://www.ontariotrees.com/main/b/bayberry/

Cheers,
Greenrr

Bookmark   June 19, 2006 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
Raspberry Transplanting
Hi All, We transplanted raspberries yesterday into...
CassidyResort
weed or no weed?
approx 4 ft tall any info appreciated
ralu25
Has anyone given up on hostas?
I know they're a shade garden staple, and they look...
noplacelikehomeforsure
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™