dahlias

claubill(z3Sud ONT)June 8, 2006

We started some dahlias in the basement way too soon and some of the stems are very skinny. If we cut it right back, do you think new stems will be produced?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sammyqc(NE Quebec/zn 4/5a)

I wouldn't cut them, I would just plant them and hope they toughen up. If they are the huge dahlias, you might have to stake them, but you probably have to anyways. I don't know what cutting them back would do, maybe someone else will know. But I know that my begonia that had all the eyes chewed of by a squirrel, produced more eyes afterwards, so maybe the dahlia would.

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 4:05PM
triple_b(BC 5b)

I was in an experimental mood and did sprout cuttings off a DUET dahlia tuber. (Followed the instructions from the Colorado Dahlia Society.) The sprouts snuffed it (first time so oh well) and since they were the only two sprouts from the only two eyes I figured that was it for DUET. However I kept it around and it sprouted again from the same stubs where I cut sprouts the last time. They are still pretty teeny but if my friend put it in the ground that day (as I exhorted her to do) and treats it real nice I hope maybe it will catch up.

Bookmark   June 9, 2006 at 5:29PM
Cybersunday(z5 ca)

You may cut them, it will make the next growth coming out much stronger, I do start my dahlias early March in the basement and plant them out, they fill out with the strong growth almost immediately. You just gave the rhizome a good jump start

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
Charisma Lilac
I bought and planted two Charisma lilacs in May 2010....
Mary.13
Does anyone know what's up with Spring Garden.ca?
Hi, I'm waiting on some bittersweet vines that I've...
lilies_and_roses
Greeting from new gardener from Newfoundland !!!
Hey, Everyone here im very very very excited to find...
ivy_huan
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
3 week old cedars browning
Had 60' worth of 8-11' white cedars installed 3 weeks...
mensreaj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™