Clump O' Canna

peatpod(Z5b Ontario)March 26, 2005

Well, last year I planted some cannas in pots .. the pot broke and I was left with this mess .. what I lovingly refer to as my clump o'cannas :o) How do I divide these??

Then there are the really LONG Rhizomes .. this one is over a foot and a half long!!

How do I divide these .. any advise would be great.

Laura

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cannahavana(z7a Knoxville)

Take a shovel and slice between the eyes. As long as a piece has at least one eye, it will send up a plant and then the rhizome will continue to grow and produce more growing eyes.

Rebecca

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 1:42PM
Grant(6a - ON, Canada)

Hi Laura, there are many ways to divide a canna but like Rebecca said always try to have at least 1 eye per division, 2-3 eyes being a little better. I find the best way to start is to clean all the dirt off the rhizome using the garden hose prior to dividing. I usually divide mine by following the natural break point (waist) of the canna rhizome where it narrows and just snap it off - other times I use a knife to divide at the same points. If in doubt make your division bigger rather than smaller one.

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 8:54PM
peatpod(Z5b Ontario)

Thank you both for the advise.

Grant that is normally what I do. This year I am starting to pot up my cannas early so as to extend their growing period .. you know how it is :o) I usually wait until I plant them in the garden in the spring and just find the natural breaking point and ta da .. these however are pretty sturdy little rhizomes to say the least. Im sure I will figure it out and be amazed at how well they will do :o) I just dont want to loose too many :o) Greedy arnt I :o)

Laura

Bookmark   March 27, 2005 at 9:40PM
peatpod(Z5b Ontario)

Just incase anyone is interested .. that one clump when divided = 25 three eyed rhizomes!!!! Thats what I get for planting in a huge pot. I still cant believe they broke the pot.

Laura

Bookmark   April 2, 2005 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
Wanted Cannas
I have ginger and amaryllis and would love to trade...
nancy1fl
my cannas are only producing very small seeds
So ive been waiting for weeks for the seed pods on...
MissKayle10-3-13
Leaf rollers
I had one canna this year that had leaf rollers in...
goldenbuckeye
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™