Loropetalum pruning

habitat_gardener(z9 CA/Sunset15)April 14, 2008

When it's planted with enough room to grow, Loropetalum is a wonderful shrub. Unfortunately, this almost never happens in my neighborhood. Down the street, they're poodled into little foot-wide shrublets (sort of like random bonsai).

A friend has some that were planted several years ago when her whole front yard was redesigned. They are starting to engulf everything around them. I told her the best thing is to take them out, because no room was allotted for them. She doesn't want to do that. So I offered to prune them, because I know if her yard guys do it, they'll probably look ugly (and I'll have to look at them every day). But they're only a foot or two high, and 6 to 8 feet wide, and I'm wondering if it's an impossible task.

Has anyone seen examples of well-pruned loropetalum that were planted in too-small spaces?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Nell Jean

I've seen more examples of loropetalums that were, like your friend's, pruned into 8 foot wide pill boxes.

I can show you pictures of mine that I keep pruned to size. I cut back to a main stem.

This last pic are three that I let grow into trees, they take up less space that way.

It will probably not be possible to complete the pruning in one session.
You'll need to cut the horizontal limbs as far back as practical and
then do more pruning as the shrubs begin to grow vertically.
Nell

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Mango trees in SoCal?
Has anyone successfuly grown any type of mango tree...
wetfeet101b
Victoria Red Grape source?
It looks like Double A isn't shipping to California...
Nil13 usda:9a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Is there an "easy" red Kangaroo paw???
I planted 2 "Big Red" KP about a month ago....
Sabine Halfhill
Please Help: Sheet Mulching leads to Bermuda Grass Nightmare!
Ok so we decided to lose our lawn "The Bay Friendly...
ktgrandy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™