First time planting a stored Tropicana root

washoe_mark(5)March 30, 2011

For the first time I saved the roots of Tropicanas from Lowes that I grew in pots & stored them under my house for the winter. How soon can I start them in a new pot & how deep should I place the root? I have a green house but it's not heated & does get cold at night, 110 degrees during the day. I live in northern NV. I attempted a few new plants already. Also, I trimmed the long stringy roots. Am I supposed to do that?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Assuming your rhizomes survived the winter storage, you can repot your cannas roughly 3/5 weeks prior to moving outside for the summer. If you have a heated and well lighted area you could start earlier. Once plants emerge, do not allow to freeze. Trimming the old feeder roots is not a problem. Most containers sold at Lowes and other outlets are not large enough for maximum potential growth. I would suggest a much larger container for each large 3/5 eye rhizome.
Best,
Kent

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 10:13AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
washoe_mark(5)

Thank you very much for the response. I believe the rizomes are fine. A couple look dead. Also I'm going to try planting a few in the ground but I know I'll have to dig them up in fall. Our winters are to harsh.

Bookmark   April 2, 2011 at 7:49AM
More Discussions
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
knobrocker
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™