Need help selecting suitable shrub/tree to create a windbreak

anavApril 21, 2013

Looking to grow a 20 foot tall hedge on our side yard for wind protection. The side yard is about 19'wide and 46' length and we would plant along a wooden fence in an L shape. Would like something that will not grow too wide, easy maintenance, evergreen, fast grower to reach the 20' height, dense foliage, not encourage too much wildlife, not cause root damage to side yard patio. We like a neat look, so won't mind something that can be pruned to a traditional hedge. We have narrowed our choices down to Thuja Greem Giant, Italian Cypress, Piitosporum Tenufolium Nigra or Podocarpus Graciliar.
Please help me select either from these or recommend any others that you think may be a better choice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Both Rhamnus alaternus and Prunus lusitanica have glossy green foliage and can be pruned/sheared to keep them more formal. Depends whether you want a broadleaf or needle - if your architecture is Mediterranean the cypress would work well but often look out of place with other styles. There are a bunch of Pittosporum that can be clipped.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 10:24AM
More Discussions
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Growing canker on plum and nectarine trunks
I have a small back yard orchard, most of which was...
Aaron Davidsson
Anyone have experience with avocado cultivars?
This appears to me a sign of deficiency I'm not sure...
avocadude
Nasturtiums and Cannabis
To avoid Nasturtiums taking over my garden next year...
patmonk
Lattice grid pavers and what to plant
Using these to make a walkway in the alley that connects...
oberci
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™