how long can cannas be stored

deborahwMarch 28, 2008

I'm in Chicago (zone 5) and plant cannas every year. I pull and store them each autumn. We're going to have extensive work done on our property this year and I don't think I'll be able to safely plant my stored cannas this year. Is it possible to continue to store them through the entire year and have them be viable in 2009?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pamcrews(6 SW Missouri)

Welcome to Garden Web! I think it all depends on how you store them. I traded some later this last fall and stored them in my basement. Doesn't look like they made it as they are all dried up. I guess if I had planted them in peatmoss or something they might of made it. If you can't grow them in your yard try growing them in a container....I know they generally grow pretty good that way. If that's not going to work for you I'll be more than happy to babysit them for you. LOL....
Good Luck. PamCrews

Bookmark   March 28, 2008 at 10:04PM
daniellalell

I would grow them in a pot this year..wouldn't want to chance that long of storage.

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 8:33PM
arctictropical(Z4)

Since you are interrupting a canna's normal life cycle by digging them up and storing them, they need to grow somewhere during the summer, whether in pots or in the ground. Since they reproduce via rhizomes and not bulbs, (bulbs can be stored without moisture in most cases), rhizomes will eventually dry out and die, especially without a normal growing season.

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 4:29PM
newyorker(6)

We had the same issue when we had a big renovation. I would go down to your local garden center and get very large plastic containers and plant your canna in them. Give them to friends/family who have the space and can spend the time watering daily. Your cannas need soil in the spring to grow and cannot be dormant for that long. If you interrupt their pattern, they will die.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 11:17AM
More Discussions
my cannas are only producing very small seeds
So ive been waiting for weeks for the seed pods on...
MissKayle10-3-13
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
suzen221
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™