Strange Mutant Dandilion?

merricat(Zone 3a Canada)June 29, 2006

Howdy.

See if this makes any sense to you:

I had a bunch of perennials that I grew from seed LAST YEAR (spring of 2005). They never made it out of their pots, so I put them underground along with the strawberries (my tomato bed serves as winter hostel in the off-season). Most of them made it fine, and have new homes.

One plant grew into a straight-stemmed, tall plant. Looked like it was going to make a nice yellow flower, if the yellow tinge at the tip of the flowerhead was any indication. Then I did it again: snapped the stem off while moving things around. Sigh.

I put it in water - figured I'd get a flower at least. I didn't. What came out looks like a giant dandilion seedhead. It's beautiful, roughly the size of my palm, and full of giant seeds-with-parachutes. I'm hoping it'll dry nicely and I'll keep it on the window ledge, watch the sun play through the little parachutes.

But what the heck IS it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Perhaps Tragopogon dubius Yellow Salsify?

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 2:20AM
merricat(Zone 3a Canada)

Well I'll be a newt's pyjamas......

That's EXACTLY what it looks like. And the flowerhead-part and leaves are spot-on too. So it looks like I have a salsify/oyster plant in a pot.

Which leads to my next question: who snuck into my garden and planted this thing? It looks like a parsnip (I hate parsnips) and I'd remember the name.

Hmmm...I wonder if it's a perennial and actually makes flowers, too. Time for a little googling.

THANKS, Crazy and Abgardeneer! :-D

Bookmark   June 30, 2006 at 3:38PM
sharon_sd(SW ON)

My husband threatned our neighbour with palting a dandelion in the night on her 40,000 sq ft of new sod. (Yes, a whole acre.)
Maybe you live near us?

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 8:38PM
cheryl25(3)

Good to know! I have those too. I let them grow, thinking I'd discovered some wonderful new flower.
THey are very invasive and the roots are a killer to pull out.
Yuck,

Cheryl

Bookmark   July 3, 2006 at 10:59PM
merricat(Zone 3a Canada)

*L* Sharon, if you can FIND the lawn amongst the dandelions, volunteer seedlings (I have a lot of fruit trees) and general chaos....you're a better man than I! ;0)

You know, I have a neighbor across the street (we both have huge corner lots), and he mows the lawn every Saturday, 10 a.m., Moving from NW to SE in perfect rows. It looks like a carpet, not a lawn. I don't have anything agains lawns in general (unless you waste a lot of water on them), but really...we're firmly into the land of OCD, I think.

Cheryl, I don't mind the plant (yet), but how the heck did it GET there? I don't think they're wild here in central Alberta (zone 3a), but maybe a passing bird makes a liar out of me? Hmmmm....

Still a pretty giant puff, though. And still marvellously whole through the use of that common bio-hazard, won't-move-in-a-wind-tunnel chemical: hairspray.

Bookmark   July 4, 2006 at 2:27AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Salsify is not native to Alberta, it was introduced from Eurasia. I live in Central Alberta too and it surely does grow here, take a drive out in the country, you'll see it gowing along roadsides and pastures.

How did it get in your pot/garden....the seeds are attached to those "parachutes" which are disseminated widely by the wind.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blowing In The Wind

Bookmark   July 5, 2006 at 4:45PM
More Discussions
Hey, where'd the Canadian Exchange go...
It seems to have disappeared.
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
overseeding a lawn in vancouver
Hi all, My front yard is... a mess. The house is new...
dalans
Wish there was a local plant coop plant/seed group near
What I mean is a group that could pool cash togther...
krystarz
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
Sponsored Products
Plumen 001 Light Bulb by Hulger
$30.00 | Lumens
Shower Curtain Unique from DiaNoche Designs by Sylvia Cook - Strange Days
$89.00 | DiaNoche
SENCHA Tea Maker by Blomus
$96.29 | Lumens
San Mask Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Stranger in a Strange Land Print
$18.99 | Dot & Bo