Peonie buds

purple-anemoneJune 16, 2011

Thank you - I find this forum helpful - my first year of gardening in Canada - come from South Africa where the plants are different and behave differently.

I read in a book by Jerry Bloom, that one should pinch out the leading buds of peonies in order to allow more buds to develop. Luckily I only tried this on some of the buds, because, where I pinched them out, the smaller buds died back (black). I also noticed that some other smaller buds did shrink away too on their own (without me pinching out the leading bud). Does anyone know why this happened and how to get all the buds to bloom in the future?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
smivies

I'd consider those instructions as fairly detrimental. The primary bud will always have the biggest flower. The secondary buds will always have smaller flowers or may not flower at all, regardless of the TLC bestowed. I think the potential is predetermined by the quantity of starches stored during the previous growing season and by the structure of the embryonic bud, also set during the previous growing season.

Bookmark   June 16, 2011 at 6:09PM
marricgardens

The only time I pinch buds on my peonies is when they send up a stalk with 3 buds. I always snip out the center bud to make room for the other two to flower. It also 'lightens the load' during a rainfall, and keeps the plant from drooping so badly.

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 8:34AM
ianna(Z5b)

I've never heard of pinching back buds. I have a young 3 year old peony which came up with a huge number of flowers this 3rd year. Thank goodness because I got this plant on those end of season type sales. it looked like it was dying.. so I took pity on it. Now it rewards me with a terrific spray of flowers. I also purchased a brand new peony as a root earlier this year. To my surprise it actually gave me a bud this year - and it's beautiful. I am looking foward to it's next show.
ianna

Bookmark   June 17, 2011 at 9:58AM
More Discussions
Canada Blooms in Toronto
Good day all, I've just found a possee of gardening...
Justine_London
hardy annuals
hey all i live on vancouver island, just wondering...
tomlinson04
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Where to buy Pine bark fines in Toronto?
Hi everyone, Anyone know where to buy pine bark fines...
elbereth
Yacon
I posted this on the wrong side :( so here goes again. Is...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Sponsored Products
Tiffany Style Rose Bud Wall Sconce with Stained Glass Shade
ParrotUncle
The Young Scientists Club The Magic School Bus Microscope Lab - WH-925-1143
$40.99 | Hayneedle
Peony Purple Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Crystal Bud Six-Light Chandelier
Bellacor
Milan Trellis
Grandin Road