when do thye sprout ?

tammyinwv(z6/WV)April 15, 2005

When do cannas sprout that havent been dug for winter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DARLENE_TN(Z7 knoxville TN)

THEY WILL SPROUT WHEN YOUR TEMPERATURES RISE TO 50" OR HIGHER AND STAY STEADY. HERE IN TENNESSEE MINE ARE COMING UP NOW. SOME JUST POKING THRU THE GROUND AND OTHERS ARE 8-12" TALL. SOME HAVEN'T COME UP YET.
DEPENDS ON THE TYPE OF CANNA TOO! SOME ARE LATE BLOOMERS.
THEY SHOULD ALL BE UP WITHIN THE NEXT MONTH. BE PATIENT AS SOME ARE LAZY
DARLENE

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 10:32AM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

thanks Darlene.I grew a common red one last yr and didnt see any sign of it yet.I couldnt remember when it came up last yr.
Tammy

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 11:07AM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

In zone 6, you're gambling by leaving them in the ground--they are marginal in zone 7 so they will need a heavy mulch, a mild winter, and some luck to make it! I've had very bad luck leaving them in the ground through the last 3 winters--good thing I always bring a few in for insurance!

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 11:16AM
tammyinwv(z6/WV)

There are some old homes near me that have the common red canna growing in the front.They grow with absolute neglect and return every yr. I dont know if this common variety is more hardy than the named ones or not. This one red one I have is really the only experience I have had with them.I didnt think I would care much for them,but after looking at some pics of the variagated and bright colored ones,I have definitely changed my mind. I am hoping to trade for some. If I am lucky then I will definitely dig to be on the safe side.
Tammy

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 11:24AM
DARLENE_TN(Z7 knoxville TN)

TAMMY,
KEEP MY EMAIL AND HOLLAR AT ME THE END OF MAY. I WILL HAVE SOME RHIZOMES FOR YOU!!
THIS SUNDAY I WILL HAVE GREEN LEAF RED BLOOM & GREEN LEAF ORANGE BLOOM!!
I PLANTED SOME AT MY SISTER-IN-LAWS HOUSE 2 YEARS AGO AND SHE DOESN'T LIKE THEM!!! THE ONLY ONE SHE WANTED TO KEEP WAS LUCIFER! SO SHE KEEPS MOVING THEM DOWN....I AM GOING ON SUNDAY TO DIG THEM ALL UP!
SHES THE ONLY PERSON I EVER MET THAT JUST DID NOT LIKE CANNAS!!
MINE COME BACK EVERY YEAR. I AM NOT DIGGING THEM UP! I WILL BUY OR TRADE FOR MORE FIRST!! LOL
DARLENE

Bookmark   April 15, 2005 at 5:42PM
flowerpower326(z6 nj)

Didn't dig mine either.Was told they could stay in all winter,but finding out it's not so.Going to try to dig them tomorrow and dry them out a little. I hope they survive b/c they were gorgeous last year and my Mom wants some- so I'm praying:)If they survive I'm going to pst the seeds for trade. Can't wait.

Bookmark   April 16, 2005 at 11:31AM
More Discussions
my cannas are only producing very small seeds
So ive been waiting for weeks for the seed pods on...
MissKayle10-3-13
another use for 100 mph tape
Scarification we've all been there. But No matter what...
bragu_DSM 5
Canna - Clay Soil _ Fertilizer
I have a clay soil. What type of fertilizer would help...
canna1915
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™