Canna Questions.....I probably just need more patience!

theartist(z8 La)April 14, 2010

Hi all,

I am in the deep south, in Louisiana. I put about 18 Cannas (tubers?) in the ground about 3-4 weeks ago and. I see one peeking out of the ground this morning. Some in large pots are also shooting up. How long should one give Cannas to 'spring up'???? Also, I know they love water but how often should you water the tubers, before they start to come up as I do not want them to rot???? Thanks so much for all your answers.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Due to your location, soil temperatures are not an issue. Planting depth will definitely contribute to slow emergence; one to three inches deep is best. The soil only needs to be slightly damp until the plant develops a few leaves. Cool, water saturated soil definitely will contribute to rhizome decay.
Had the rhizomes produced swollen eyes before planting? Were the rhizomes in good condition at planting time? What was the source of your planting stock?
You may need to gently lift a couple of the rhizomes and check their state of health. They definitely should be producing underground growth after 3 to 4 weeks!

Kent

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
Suggestions please!
Have 30 inch tall black self watering planters. Any...
aggot
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™