Maple Tree with Yellow Leaves - Type?

mistressmaryJune 13, 2007

I have a Maple tree that planted itself in my backyard a few years ago and I'm trying to determine what type of Maple it is. In the summer the leaves are a light green (almost a yellow-ish green or lime green), and in fall the leaves turn brilliant yellow. Anyone know what type of Maple this is? I know they grow quite large, because there are others in my neighbourhood, but I'm trying to determine the rate at which they grow to that height so I can decide whether to leave it where it is, or transplant it to another location. It planted itself about 5 - 7 years ago, and grew about a foot or more in the last year. It's now about 6.5' feet tall. Thanks for any info!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

It's most likely a Manitoba Maple (Acer negundo).

Bookmark   June 13, 2007 at 6:13PM
IanW Zone 5 Ont. Can.

Sounds like you may have a Princeton Gold Maple (Acer platanoides 'Princeton Gold').

Try looking this tree up on the web to see if you do.

Hope this helps
Ian

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 7:14AM
Crazy_Gardener(Z2b AB Canada)

Ian, the species A. platanoides and their cultivars are border line hardy in the prairie provinces. If her tree self-seeded and her neighbours all have these trees, itÂs a Manitoba maple which are very common and very hardy in our zone.

Sharon

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 2:06PM
mistressmary

Thank you both for your replies - you've been very helpful! Much appreciated.

Bookmark   June 20, 2007 at 6:03PM
glen3a(Winnipeg MB 3A)

Not sure it's a Manitoba maple (acer negundo) as that tree would likely grow more than a foot per year. The first few years it gets established and then takes off.

Not to add to the confusion, but is the entire tree greenish yellow? Maples on the prairies can be susceptible to iron chlorosis, lack of iron caused by clay soil, which might make the leaves more yellow than they normally would be.

Whatever it is, if it's a nice color and doesn't grow too fast, it sounds like a nice tree to keep around.

Glen

Bookmark   June 24, 2007 at 10:24PM
clairabelle(z4 Quebec)

I have the exact same thing, methinks. Could it be just 'yellow maple' ? All I know, it has a much slower growth rate than the sugar maple. Grows like the red maple.

Bookmark   June 26, 2007 at 3:37PM
More Discussions
very good price for seedling heat mats
Home hardware has the 10" x 20" seedling...
dowlinggram
What to do with a swampy yard - new homeowner needs ideas!
My yard is a wet sponge. I have a lovely crop of skunk...
jbobs
Looking for a Scuffle Hoe
Hello everyone: The new anti-pesticide laws have my...
northerner_on
Help me kill the Goutweed (Aegopodium)
Further to the post regarding the sale of goutweed: Please...
vicki_vale
Hi from Alabama, I have a question about immigration...
Hello Everyone, I've been lurking here reading your...
STROBE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™