not digging up cannas

onthebeach42April 12, 2005

I was told by some local nurseries that I didn't need to dig up my Cannas for the winter. I left them in all winter and went to divide them the other day and they looked brown and a little mushy. I divided and replanted them anyway. Do you think I'm out of luck.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jenna1(AZ)

How mushy were they? Did your ground freeze this past Winter? Canna rhizomes don't like to be frozen and it will usually kill 'em. Did you heavily mulch the areas where the cannas were before the cold weather temps hit last fall?

Something tells me that they might be goners, but the only way you can really tell is if they do or don't start to come back up with the onset of warm weather and when the soil starts to warm up. DON'T overwater them in the areas that you transplanted them into. In fact, let Mom Nature do your watering for you, at least for now. If there's a chance that they'll survive, you don't want to have them rotting on you. The soil is still moist and cold, even tho the soil surface may look dry.

Jenna

Bookmark   April 12, 2005 at 3:05PM
don_brown(Zone 6A NS)

In your zone you should definitely dig those puppies up for the winter.

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 8:07AM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

Sorry to say it but you were given some very bad advice. Cannas MIGHT survive in the ground in zone 6 if they are planted against a foundation and/or heavily mulched and/or you have an unusually mild winter.

Bookmark   April 13, 2005 at 1:54PM
Bonbon_N_KS(5b)

I have some coming up from last year. (not an experiment, just got lazy last fall) I didn't mulch and just pulled the tops off earlier this spring. The were planted a foot or less from the foundation on the south side. ?

Bookmark   April 21, 2005 at 1:08PM
flowerpower326(z6 nj)

dug them uplast week and set them in the sun to dry a bit-pretty mushy. I'm going to put them back in the ground for compost or maybe I'll get a surprise.

Bookmark   April 23, 2005 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Canna from seed - percent success rate?
Hi! About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I prepped and planted canna...
kelli08
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Re-starting tubers after cold storage
Hi, I think I've managed to over-winter my canna tuber....
dee_can1
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™