Went a little order happy...

misslucindaApril 17, 2008

Hi there-

I really have so many dahlia this year I don't know what to do with them. I have beds in the rear upper corner of my property but no practical water source and the deer and critter are an issue there.

On top of that I ordered 16 canna this year in addition to the three I already had. Same issue. No bed space by the house and my husband will go a little nutzoid if I cut into "his" grass for a new bed.

I planted everything up in those black and green nursery pots which range from 9"-12" in diameter (now sitting in my basement and laundry rooms) but certainly I can't keep them in those after they go outside in mid May. Nor do I have or want to purchase 15 huge clay pots (too heavy) or huge plastic ones (also heavy and just not attractive).

At some point could I possibly just dig individual holes in the grass for the plants (keeping them in groups of 5). I hate the idea of giving my children up for adoption.

I would appreciate any and all ideas.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightrider767(San Antonio)

Lucinda,, good luck with your plants. I'd suggest talking your husband into making some room for the plants.

That's a good idea. Three groups of five. You always want to use odd numbers in landscaping, so three groups is ideal.

Just work with your husband a bit on it. Plant the beds so that the mulch extends at least 8 inches or so away from the plants. That way your husband will be able to mow around them and not need to use the weed-eater.

Good luck!

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 2:26AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
misslucinda

Thanks for the encouragement nightrider. But negotiating with a lawn guy won't be easy....

Bookmark   April 21, 2008 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
my Canna look horrible, please help
New homeowner here, and I a ton of Canna growing on...
bgaviator
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Frank Flanagan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™