Re: container gardening

frabee(5)June 11, 2007

Hi; Is it true that potatoes can be grown in a container? I would like to try my hand at planting vegetables in containers.Could someone please tell me how to go about it? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wildie(z3 Alberta)

I had a friend who used to container garden all her veggies as she had sever arthritis and couldn't kneel. She used a big deap kids swimming pool to plant her potatoes in. It was placed on an old picnic table... And I know another friend who whould use old tires to mound up, and would only add enough soil as needed.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 8:31AM
ianna(Z5b)

Yes you can. I think seeds for diversity has the exact procedures online. It however goes this way. Use a deep container for this exercise. Plant the container in full sun. Add a small amount of earth and plant your seed potato. As it grows upward, add more earth and continue with this process until the plant reaches the top of the containter. From that one plant you will be able to harvest a good number of potatoes. Near autumn the potatoes should start yellowing up and you should have good sized potatoes as a result of your endeavours.

Ianna

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 11:10AM
frabee(5)

Thanks Wildie and Ianna, I appreciate your advice and am going to start my container potatoes today :) I'll keep you posted on their progress, and you keep your fingers crossed for me, ok? ;) Frabee.

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 2:31PM
frabee(5)

Hi-- Well, it's been eleven days since I first planted my container potatoes, and they're all taking root. I sure wish I'd known about this years ago; when I think of all the old potatoes with eyes that I threw out! Oh, well, better late than never,right? Anyway, I'll keep you posted if you like. Happy Canada Day on the first to all my fellow Canadian posties!! :)

Bookmark   June 23, 2007 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Brampton Hardiness Zone
Hello all, Is anyone of you expert on Hardiness Zones. Could...
radovan
Plant Nurseries in Canada disappearing?
I had bookmarked years ago something that lists all...
yugoslava
Tayberry plants
Hi fellow garderners, I used to order Tayberry plant...
maskoutain
Innovative New Plant Pot
Hello fellow garden enthusiasts! We are college students...
bcitco
Overwintering geraniums from a deck planter
The planter is about 6"x2' and has 5 plants in...
dab07
Sponsored Products
Justice Design Group FSN-5542W - Finials Outdoor - Finials Curved Wall Sconce (O
$290.00 | Hayneedle
Crabmeat & Artichoke Dip - LIGHT BROWN
$80.00 | Horchow
Christopher Knight Home Santiago Brown Wicker Storage Ottoman
Overstock.com
Korver Swivel Chair - Key Largo Pumice Beige
Joybird Furniture
Quest Mini Pendant by WAC Lighting
$249.50 | Lumens
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Terracotta/Natural 4
$62.38 | Home Depot
Sliced Open Concrete Planters - Set of 3