Growing Canna from seeds

SHAWNPApril 25, 2011

I received some canna seeds from a friend, and I was wondering if there was any thing I needed to do to the seeds before planting? She gave me some Levant Cotton seeds and I had to file the seeds and soak them for 24 hours before planting so I was wondering if I would have to do the same with the canna seeds....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
acidic_luke(9a)

I used pet nail clippers for my seeds. Make sure to file/clip the opposite side of the scar on the seeds(that is where you will see a white root poking out after soaking). I then soaked them for 48 hours changing the water occasionally with warm water. I used a seed growing kit with a seed starting mix. Keep them moist at all times. I placed the seeds under a T5 plant growing light. They germinated within 3 days, and it is now day 14 and the seedlings are 6 inches tall growing their 3rd leaves. They take off very fast. Once you see the roots sticking out of the bottom, transplant them into a 4" or 6" pots, I transplanted mine into plastic drinking cups, once they grow out of those, they will be planted outside.

If you want to purchase any more seeds, get them from Karchesky Canna online, 15 out of 16 seeds i got from Alice germinated, now that is a pretty good germination rate. I also purchased rhizomes from her and they are growing very tall and vigorous.

Good luck to you

Bookmark   April 29, 2011 at 12:04PM
More Discussions
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
storage of cannas over winter
I have have over 50 cannas that were dug up winter...
notenoughtimepegster
canna fermentation to make ethanol
I have read that some farms are using canna rhizomes. Does...
dirtaddshp
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
Susan Levy
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
Sponsored Products
Live Giant Hosta Empress Wu
$16.99 | zulily
Designers Fountain Outdoor Marquette LED21931 Wall Lantern - Aged Bronze Patina
$199.50 | Hayneedle
Orchid Pro - 8 oz. - DYORC008
$18.99 | Hayneedle
Natura Metal Leaves Tabletop Fountain - FCT007
$69.99 | Hayneedle
All Cedar Dog Cottage - 5213
$179.99 | Hayneedle