Pruning an unruly Acacia baileyana

alby_greenApril 13, 2013

Our new yard has 2 Acacia baileyanas that are 10-15 feet tall but they are both growing in one big spike. They are both so heavy that the spike is bending over at the top. How to I prune/train them to encourage them to grow into a rounder shape (like all of the pictures I see?)

I actually like the weeping (multi-stemed) look but it is just one weeping spike right now. They are also up on a hill making the bent-overness even stranger looking. I sort of like the strange look but we've got a lot of hill to deal with right now so I'd like them to take up more space.

This post was edited by alby_green on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 22:30

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If they are bending over in one direction you need to lighten that side so the growth on the other side pulls the tree more upright. I'd hire a professional arborist to do it right. Since the trees are still quite small it shouldn't cost that much.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 12:46AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yukkuri_kame(Sunset 19 / USDA 9)

I would guess you could coppice to the ground and you will end up with a multi-stemmed tree that can be shaped from early on, but that's just a guess.

You could try rooting some cuttings or starting from seed before you do anything drastic.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 10:57PM
More Discussions
Pride of Madeira PRUNING and question
Hi, Hope you can help. The net and Sunset's Garden...
piper101
Where in Southern CA can I buy a bag of Dried Calimyrna figs?
My closest stupid town has one supermarket chain and...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Have you he@rd of SLOLA?
Great time at seed library meeting in Los Angeles....
Wild Haired Mavens
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
ISO Bored/Retired Landscape Designer In Sacramento Area
Posting to ask if anyone in my area might know if there...
billy3p
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™