Kangaroo Paw, Black leaves?

warrengkApril 13, 2011

Hi there, i had bought this A. viridis, last year in a one gallon, well i had an outbreak of white fly's so i sprayed everything, used neem oil and Bayer advanced 3 in one mix and spray, when the neem oil stopped working. Also it got to be about 34 degrees here during this winter. Now i noticed the blackening almost a few weeks after i sprayed, could this be a burn, or fertilizer burn, or frost damage? The new leaves and flowers seem to be coming out just fine. Also its not really spotted, its more of like the tips were dipped in black paint? Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dick_Sonia(Sunset 17)

You've got ink spot disease.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kangaroo Paws: Pests and Diseases

Bookmark   April 14, 2011 at 1:54AM
Dick_Sonia(Sunset 17)

Not necessarily (I tried to amend my statement yesterday, but wasn't able to). Kangaroo Paws turn black easily. Ink spot is one possible reason why, but this actually looks more like cold damage or chemical damage to me.

At any rate, the treatment is the same. Go out with a propane torch and burn away any remaining above-ground tissue. It'll resprout shortly.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 1:08AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Dick, I have a question about Kangaroo Paw - my gardener cuts them back every fall to the ground. Is this the normal practice? They have sort of struggled to come back since we moved in, and he does this. I was just at a San Diego MG seminar and one of the classes I attended was on plants from Australia. I told the instructor about this, and she was somewhat horrified. So, not sure how to treat them - cut them back or not??

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 10:59AM
jenn(SoCal 9/19)

We have a group of these in our front yard which was re-landscaped early last year. I did NOT cut them to the ground. I cut only the flowering stems after the blooms faded, but did not cut any of the leaves. Yikes, what would make the gardener think to do that???

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 12:18PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

Not sure, Jenn, but thinking that maybe he's grouping them with grasses. I'm going to talk with him next week about NOT doing this this year, and letting them grow. I can trim out the spent flower stalks to encourage more bloom. I was somewhat horrified myself when he did it the first time. Didn't check with anyone, and he did it a second time last fall. That's when I figured this was absolutely not the right thing to do for this species. Confirmed in the MG class.

Patty S.

Bookmark   April 15, 2011 at 5:09PM
More Discussions
please help me decide on a fast growing screen
For many years the back of my neighbor's lot which...
kentc
LADWP turf removal rebate
Hello! My partner and I bought our house in March....
yourmomsart
Need Giant Whitefly Locations in SoCal (Researcher)
Hello I am an Entomology Ph.D. student in need of some...
nebulusx
Looking for Soil Testing Company Recommendations
I'd like to have my soil tested and would like some...
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
Avocado: Sharwil!
Folks, I've been looking for a source for a Sharwil...
NorCalNiko
Sponsored Products
Design Toscano Australian Outback Kangaroo Garden Sculpture - NE20701
$708.87 | Hayneedle
Joey the Kangaroo Decal Set
$24.99 | zulily
Blue 24-Oz. Kangaroo Bottle
$11.99 | zulily
Roo Racer Dish
$36.99 | Dot & Bo
Blast Zone Ultra Commercial Bounce House - INF-ULTRACOMMERCIAL
Hayneedle