Cannas bolting in storage

bwright(6)April 12, 2009

I have about 20 bags of cannas (6 to 8 rhisomes/bag) stored in our basement and I have to admit I didn't check on them for the last couple of weeks. The basement is cool about 60 degrees and upon recent inspection some of them have over 8" of growth. What can I do, I generally don't put them out until the beginning of May. Should I let them go the next couple of weeks and plant them with the growth up above the soil or can I cut it off and hope they keep growing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

I would recommend cutting back the growth that is more than 4 to 6 inches long. If you do not do this, those longest sprouts will begin to develop leaves and put added demand for stored nutrients and moisture from the rhizome. You can choose to leave the very short sprouts and either cut them back "slightly" before planting if necessary. Please do not plant the rhizome very deep. The planting depth should never exceed two to four inches. Do not cut close to the rhizome. You may even notice a slight swelling at the base of the sprout. Do not cut this swelling area; this is where future rhizome growth will occur.
Regards,
Kent

Bookmark   April 13, 2009 at 6:40PM
bwright(6)

Thanks Kent,

Just wondered if I should cover them with a blanket of some kind to prevent the daylight from teasing them into continued growth? We still have a couple of weeks before the fear of frost is gone.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 9:49PM
canna2grow

I am guessing that the warm temperature has triggered the growth and the lack of sunlight contributes to the leggy growth. The use of a cover likely would be better if applied earlier and primarily to prevent water loss. If a cover is sometimes used you might need to allow for a bit of air exchange.
Regards,
Kent

Bookmark   April 15, 2009 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
When right time to cut down
I have about four or five Canna's growing in a 3' x...
boothbay
Wanted 2 foot canna
I'm looking for a dwarf canna that only gets about...
goldenbuckeye
i have seeds if you would like some
not sure how it works on here but i have plenty of...
knobrocker
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Sponsored Products
Copeland Furniture | Kyoto 4 Door Buffet
YLiving.com
Alana Leather Sectional
Opulent Items
32-Piece Queen Elizabeth I Sterling Silver Flatware Service - SILVER
$8,800.00 | Horchow
Stone Mill Satin Nickel Nantucket Cup Cabinet Pulls (Pack of 10)
Overstock.com
Nespresso Pixie Espresso Machine with Aeroccino Frother
$279.00 | FRONTGATE
Camille Antique Oval Medicine Cabinet with Mirror
Signature Hardware
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™