recycling used potting soil

nacho_mommaApril 3, 2011

Do you all reuse last years potting soil? I was thinking of working mine ( from my outdoor pots) into some claybound soil, rather than just tossing it.

Do you reuse or recycle yours, if so, then how?

thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

If your potting soil is something found in the garden center, I would add it to my garden after one season in the pot. My potting soil I buy from a landscape supply and it does not contain peat, only fir bark, builders sand and volcanic rock. After using it in my pots the only thing having been consumed is the fir bark, which I replace and add dolomite lime(one tablespoon per gallon)and a teaspoon of 18-6-12 timed released fertilizer again per gallon. My used potting soil is now ready to use again in my pots gallon and larger size. Good potting soil is almost $50 per cubic yard and is worth saving and reusing. Al

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 8:29AM
atreehugger(Sunset 21)

I also recycle ( reuse) my potting soil. I freshen is with bark and a little crushed perlite, add some soil activator from Roger's Gardens and its good to go.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 12:07AM
CA Kate

I toss it in the compost bin to be recycled with all the newly added nutrients from the compost.... potting soil with muscle.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 1:02AM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

I use the recycled potting soil to build a berm around my newly planted trees that are in the ground. I always find that I need more soil than what came out of the hole (I use native soil to backfill so there is not much left) to build a berm to retain water after my plantings.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 1:27PM
More Discussions
Northern California Roll Call!!!! 2.0
Did I miss it? Part 1 was closed http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/calif/msg1019364625268.html?150 Nanelle...
nanelle_gw
Native ground cover for San Jose area
Hello! Would love some suggestions for a Bay Area (inland)...
Sheila Schmitz
Orange tree questions re fruiting, blooming and harvesting
hi all, we moved to a place with a really old orange...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
New home owner... looking for gardening ideas...
Hey everyone. I am a new home owner... there is currently...
Joseph Wind
Western Sword Fern (Polysticum munitum) very brown
My Western Sword Ferns are looking very brown. I really...
kookoo2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™