companion for cannas

quebec_lab_border(z3QC)May 28, 2006

I have a canna planted in a 3 gallon container. What can I plant in the container with the canna to cover the lower surface. Would the container look rather bare if the canna is planted alone?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanna_run_faster

I have some in a 3 gallon container, they never look bare as new shoots are always coming up. If yours are sparser, perhaps something trailing like a creeping jenny would look nice and add visual interest.

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 10:30AM
jroot(5A Ont. Canada (near Guelph))

I was wondering about some lobelia.

Bookmark   May 28, 2006 at 6:57PM
tropicalfreak(z10b Ft Lauderdale)

the canna will crowd out whatever you plant with it...possibly put a low grower in a pot in front of the cannas ??

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 10:33AM
Marcia Thornley

I planted Bakoppa (sp)beneath one of mine. It has filled the surface of the soil around the Canna and is hanging over the edge. It looks great. In another I have Blackie, a Sweet Potatoe Vine. It has done very well also spilling out over the edge of the pot, and the colour looks great with the green Canna leaves above.
Just choose something that has the same water needs and will spill out of the pot instead of growing tall.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 9:30PM
mdalebo(England)

Companion planting is more than just plants that look together. It is also about plants that support and look after each other.

Aphids detest Lavandula, and so lavender's make a great companion planting for any plants subject to aphid prevedation, like Canna.

Canna has no scent, and so plants that are heavily scented, such as roses, thymes and lavender, make great companion plants on a scent basis.

I think that you can get the idea from those examples.

Regards,
Malcolm

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 5:44PM
marquest(z5 PA)

I am late summer is almost over. I grow my cannas for the leaves. So most of my pots have the Cannas with interesting leaves.

Tropicanna, has (Dahlia Bishop)with dark leaves and red flower, and coleus all around the bottom.

Bengal Tiger, has coleus in front and because BT is a short Canna I put Glads in the back that bloom yellow and Red.

Bookmark   August 16, 2006 at 10:22AM
More Discussions
My first Canna blooms ever! NOID. Proud momma!
Just wanted to share the gorgeousness but if anyone...
vega-lyrah
Looking for unusual cannas
especially with variegated leaves...have lots of tropicals...
Tropical Gardener
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
Seedlings : Canna Musafolia 'Grande'
Just wanted to give a feedback. I enjoy sowing cannas....
sleuthtl73
canna ratty
Hello my canna were divided and split and cut back...
dennisoates
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™