Robert Kent vs. Robert Kemp--same or different?

JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)May 15, 2009

I purchased Canna 'Robert Kent' from Brent & Becky's bulbs. The rhizomes were already sprouting when I received them and the plants are already up and growing vigorously. I've been looking for more information about this canna and keep running across 'Robert Kemp'. Are these two different names for the same canna, or are they two different cultivars with similar names? The descriptions sound similar but the photo B&B shows for 'Robert Kent' seems a bit different from the ones I've seen for 'Robert Kemp'.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Robert Kent' at Brent & Becky's Bulbs

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canna2grow

Jonnie,
Sorry for the slow response to a very interesting question. Many of us are familiar with the specie C. compacta which has been distributed in the United States under the cultivar name of C. ÂRobert KempÂ. As you suggested, Brent and BeckyÂs canna offering of C. ÂRobert Kent looks very similar but does not appear to mach ÂRobert KempÂ.
After my email to B & B, Brent called me and gave me their source along with the information that it came from a Dutch collector overseas and the collector named this canna ÂRobert KentÂ. Is there a direct relationship between these two cultivars remains unknown for now but I am assuming that C. ÂRobert Kent is likely a hybrid cultivar. Therefore you have possibly received a fairly rare new hybrid and the name should remain as received.
I hope to grow a few of both cultivars for comparison and make a positive confirmation this season. If this canna is a new hybrid you may have a real steal. Time will hopefully tell.
Regards,
Kent Kelly

Bookmark   June 2, 2009 at 2:50PM
More Discussions
cannas
I was given some cannas bulbs recently, which mean...
naturesign
Canna ID (1)
Hello, I don't know the name of some of my cannas....
sleuthtl73
how fast do cannas grow from seed?
I have filed some seeds as well as the edges of my...
christie_sw_mo
WANTED: cann's
looking for all colors of Cana. I have other flowers...
Susan Levy
Just had to share this
If you live in a zone where you gotta dig your cannas...
bragu_DSM 5
Sponsored Products
Currey & Company Madera Table Lamp
$590.00 | LuxeDecor
Graco Affix High Back Booster Seat - Atomic - 1852665
$78.78 | Hayneedle
Sonneman | C-Shell 5-Light Bath Bar
$590.00 | YLighting
SQ-bar Satin Nickel LED 18-Inch Bath Fixture Strip with White Acrylic Shade
$270.00 | Bellacor
Sonneman Wave Satin Nickel & White Three-Light LED Bath Bar Light
$590.00 | LuxeDecor