Look what we found last night

catherinet(5 IN)August 16, 2011

This is so cool. It was really hard to catch a shot of this little (big) guy, but here's a fairly decent one. He has a wing span of about 3-4".

I believe its a Carolina Sphinx moth.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catherinet(5 IN)

I'm not very good at this, but here's a try at enlarging and sharpening the pic.

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 10:05AM
bob_71(z7 MD)

You're doing very well!

Bob

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 10:49AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

They are such fabulous moths. Have you been sacrificing your tomatoes to their caterpillars, lol!

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 12:33PM
misssherry(Z8/9SE MS)

Great picture, Catherine!

Sherry

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 12:48PM
TomatoWorm59

Carolina, all right! Fantastic photo, too. Do you have any tomatoes, peppers, eggplant or even Datura or Brugmansia for the larvae of this species?

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 3:40PM
ronkw(8b LA)

WOW...Great shot!

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 5:39PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Thanks everyone. I have tomatoes and peppers, but sure haven't seen any larvae. Do they like anything else?
I've been looking over my tomatoes and haven't seen anything, unfortunately. I even have some milkweed growing in the garden and saw some poop........but it wasn't even monarchs, but rather tussock moth cats (I think??). Its been an upside down summer this year.
We saw this Carolina moth a few nights ago at dusk, and got all excited.......but then saw a bird chasing it! We were very happy to see it had survived. We were standing on the deck cheering for it........"GO!!!....RUN!!!!"

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 6:02PM
catherinet(5 IN)

Some further reading shows me that the cats I'm seeing on the milkweed are Milkweed Tussock moths. That's why they're on the milkweed! Learn something new every day!

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 10:20PM
bettyd_z7_va(7)

That is too cool!

Is its eyes really purple?

Betty

Bookmark   August 16, 2011 at 11:05PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I'll bet that if you look closely, you'll find some tomato hornworm eggs on your tomatoes, if not the caterpillars. Tomatoworm pretty much mentioned the plants that are host to the Tomato Hornworm (aka Carolina hornworm).

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 12:33AM
terrene(5b MA)

Very cool! What a long proboscis that moth has!

I haven't seen any cats on my tomatoes for years, but if I did I would gladly sacrifice a tomato plant. To hear people talk on the tomato and other forums, you would think these caterpillars were the biggest scourge on tomatoes there is!

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 7:44AM
christie_sw_mo(Z6)

Very cool that you got to see one nectaring Catherine.

I've only found two tomato hornworms this year. I'm convinced that those things pop out of an egg that's the size of a golf ball because I never spot them until they're huge and have nearly eaten a whole plant. lol
I moved them from my Cherokee Purple tomato plants to my volunteer cherry tomatoes which I always have too many of. I don't mind if they eat those and I don't worry about them multiplying out of control. They just don't. They have too many enemies. I never find more than one or two every summer.

Bookmark   August 17, 2011 at 8:37AM
TomatoWorm59

Actually, the Carolina is the tobacco hornworm. It is by far, the most common of any Manduca species.

I wish someone could get some real TOMATO hornworms, rear them, and send me live pupae for a start of breeding stock for them. Their cats are also pretty, even if not so pleasant to touch. Tobacco worms are baby skin soft. Tomato worms are tough and leathery.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 5:26AM
catherinet(5 IN)

I'm not sure I've seen a tobacco hornworm. Are they on tomatoes too? I've had a tomato hornworm hiss at me. Well.....its more of a click, when I would pick it up.
Still haven't had any this summer on my maters. Very unusual.
Might have something to do with the Pewee (bird) I have guarding my garden.

Bookmark   August 19, 2011 at 11:39AM
More Discussions
"showy milkweed" asclepias-speciosa plants available
For your information: Milkweed plants currently available...
mary_littlerockar
Any one have Ptelea trifoliata?
Common name is wafer ash or hop tree. I would like...
Jacob BergZone4b-5aMN
Lemon Mint Monarda - Annual, Perennial? Reseeds?
I feel like this question could be posted in 5 different...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Spring Azure!
I was working outside on this clear day, and I saw...
misssherry
Low desert pipevines
Has anyone had any success growing butterfly host pipevines...
joncongaroo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™